Pavilion 15-e015tx Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP community,

My question is regarding HDD.

My Laptop specs are:

Laptop age: 6 years

HDD: 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

For more details: Product homepage 

Issue: HDD whirring a lot since a few weeks. Is my laptop HDD dying?

• CPU/DISK usage spikes: None (normal)
  • Any background/resource hungry programs installed: None
  • OS: clean installed Windows 10 19H1 64-bit (as of now, no other programs installed)

Could you please suggest me 1 TB HDD replacement for my laptop?

• Seagate or WD
  • i have no idea about the size (dimension). What size should I buy?

Just a curiosity:

I have an external Seagate 500 GB hard-disk. Could that be used as replacement for laptop hdd?

3 REPLIES 3
Level 17
Level 17
40,521 40,308 6,321 11,013
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Purchasing a new HDD (Laptop)

Before you blame the hard drive you should get some testing data. There is a hard drive test in the BIOS. Tap esc as you power up then F2 for testing and you should see a hard drive test and run the long version. Assuming its bad, laptops use 2.5 inch wide form factor drives 7mm or 9.5 mm thick. Your external drive may be a 2.5 inch or a 3.5 inch and if it is 2.5 you could theoretically tear apart the external housing and extract the hard drive but I would not recommend doing that. 

These are widely available and made by several manufacturers. 

https://www.amazon.in/Seagate-BarraCuda-ST1000DM010-Desktop-Latest/dp/B01LNJBA2I/ref=sr_1_3?keywords...

You might want to consider upgrading to a solid state drive for much improved performance. The cost is significantly higher but well worth it. 

https://www.amazon.in/Maxtor-240GB-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B07W3BK7GG/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?keywords=2.5+...

This is your Service Manual:

Manual 

See pp. 47-48. In your case, replacement is very easy as there is an easy access panel on the bottom of the laptop. 

Post back if you need to discuss software reinstall or anything else and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

dvpr
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

I will run the HDD test.

First set of questions.

1. Seagate HDD link is Desktop drive mentioned in title. Will it fit in my laptop? If not, please suggest Laptop HDD.
  2. Are WD drives better?

I have few other questions.

3. Is there a difference in build quality of desktop vs laptops hdd?

- I have a HP desktop over 10 years old with original hardware, and no hdd issue.

- But, my laptop hdd was noisy from the beginning and now whirring has started.

4. What is average life of HDD? Does it depend on programs usage? I have had minimal usage (MS Office, a little bit of image editing). 

I am sorry to trouble you with a spate of questions.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
40,521 40,308 6,321 11,013
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a spate of questions. No a laptop uses a 2.5 inch drive and a desktop 3.5 inch drive will not fit. You can see that is you put a desktop drive next to a laptop; its obviously too big to go in there. WD, Seagate, Toshiba, Samsung and more all make hard drives both laptop size and desktop size and if you want to start an argument in a Silicon Valley bar ask which is better. I personally like Seagate but use WD if the price is good. Seriously shop on price. Hard drives are generic, standard interchangeable. Desktop drives do tend to last longer for several reasons. 1. There is more room to dissipate heat from the larger case, and 2. desktops stay in one place and do not move. Laptops get bumped around. Any hard drive can die tomorrow for no apparent reason. Its one of the most complicated manufactured products on the market with crazy tight tolerances. That is why we back up. Run the test, replace the drive if you must and in the future back up but maybe you are already backed up to that external hard drive and if so; good for you. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed.  

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation