Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elite x 2 1012 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to buy a new battery (from HP) for my HP Elitex2 1012 G2 soon but I'm worried about how old it is likely to be by the time I get it. There are dozens of third party sellers offering "new, genuine, HP batteries" at a third of HP's price but my default position is to trust HP for the real deal even if I'm paying a lot more.

HP already replaced the battery once under warranty a while back and the HP Battery Check app said the battery age was already 90 days old. When I requested a second replacement, that one turned out to be even older so I accepted the first one.  It was no big deal as it was a warranty replacement and it seems to have lasted quite well.

Now, I don't mind paying HP's premium price for a "new" battery but they are unable or unwilling to tell me  how old the product will be before I get it.  OR to put the question another way, how old does it need to be before I can legitimately reject it? 3 months?, six?  longer?

Would anyone care to comment before I bite the bullet and pony up?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

90 days is nothing. I would not be concerned about a battery less than a year old if it is still in original packaging. Largely for that reason, I also am not too sure a 3x premium is worth it to buy a battery directly from HP but that is your call. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to get useful feedback on the offerings from third party suppliers and have read a lot of positives.  For what they are charging it might be worth trying one. Some people have reported seeing the "Non-HP Battery Detected" error when using third party products, however.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

New battery from from a supplier in HK arrived today and I ran the HP Battery check.

Turns out the battery is 1093 days old manufactured 2018/01/09. Nearly 3 years old and even older than the one I'm replacing!
HP Recommended

How much of the designed charge capacity does it hold?

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer

I appreciate the reply but I'm not sure how to answer your question intelligently. Sorry, I'm not all that clued up about battery technology. This is what the HP Battery Check shows. I installed the battery, did this check then put the old one back in in case I need to return the new one to the vendor.  It indicates that the battery has a cycle count of only 2 but it's that 3 years on a warehouse shelf that worries me. Wouldn't the chemistry have degraded after all this time?

I'd be quite happy to pony up the premium price HP charges for one but they can't or won't give me any idea of how old the battery will be before I get it. It seems a perfectly reasonable question to me but maybe I'm wrong.

BatteryStore.sg Delivered 6-1-21.PNG

HP Recommended

Sorry, not sure if the image got posted.

HP Recommended

BatteryStore.sg Delivered 6-1-21_LI.jpg

HP Recommended

Is that a genuine HP battery? It's not a product that was fit to be sold at retail. Only 74% of original designed charge holding capacity. I would return it to the seller. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.