Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP NB 15-ay011tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP NB 15-ay011tx that had 4GB DDR4 during purchase in slot1.  As per spec, the PC can be upgradable up to 16GB.  I purchased 8GB DDR4-2400 from Crucial technology.  I am successful in opening laptop and inserting the new 8GB DDR4. myself.  It worked fine and showed total RAM = 12 GB.  PC is quite fast.

I want to upgrade to 16GB to get full benefit of PC, so I purchased again another same 8GB DDR4-2400 from Crucial. 

Now if I insert both 8GB (removing 4GB one), the PC did not come up. I did all combinations of staggering the RAMs in slots. PC never came up when both slots are 8 GB.

Only when I insert 4GB in slot1 and 8GB in slot2, it worked.  When I insert 8GB in slot1 and 4 GB in slot2, PC did not come up. FYI both purchased 8GB memories are fine and working. 

In a nutshell, I could only upgrade it to 12GB. Failed to do up to 16GB although the spec claims. 

Where is it I am going wrong? Can anybody help? Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@RAVINDRA0511, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

These are configurations (Value) supported by your notebook:- 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2).

For more information please find the details under the Product description  link  below   

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply although late !

As I have already indicated in my first message, I purchased TWO 8GB DDR4  and my NB has only 4GB when purchased.

So, I opened the laptop and inserted one by one the 8GB DDR4 that I have purchased. It worked very well and gave me total of (8+4) = 12 GB. That also proves that the 8 GB purchased DDR4 RAMs are working fine.

However, when I remove 4GB and connect both 8GB, the laptop is not coming up. 

Spec says the NB supports upto 16 GB, that I could not get. I could succeed only in having 12 GB (one 4GB and the other one purchased 8GB).

I am asking you whether I am making any mistake.

Please throw light on that.  I have the pdf of the link that you have indicated. 

Please let me know your reply quickly. Thanks

Ravindra

HP Recommended

@RAVINDRA0511, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

It looks like one of the  RAM might be faulty. request you contact local Tech get it checked or 

Lets run the Ram test by following the below steps:

• Turn off the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the main menu, click Component Tests.
  • The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day!  

HP Recommended

Thanks, looks like you are not getting my point. 

My laptop had 4GB during purchase of the laptop.

I procured 2 compatible 8GB DDR4 RAMS. 

I have inserted one by one in the vacant slot  and it worked fine ....and showed 12GB RAM (8 + 4). I have seen this using app CPU-Z and in other places. So both purchased 8GB ones are fine.

However, when I insert both 8GB ones in the laptop, the NB is not coming up......

Did you get my point. Don't think it is RAM issue. Purchased RAMs are fine.  There must be something else.

Please consult your experts and let me know the answer.

thanks in advance

HP Recommended

@RAVINDRA0511

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

Have a great day!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.