Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am having RAM memory issues with my HP Pavilion g6 1384 SA Notebook. Afew years ago I was advised to have the memory increased in anticipation of future software requirements. This I had done. HP data advised the maximum RAM memory the device was capable of was 6Gb. This I did. Recently the performance has become unusably slow.  Checking Computer Properties it shows "Installed memory (RAM):  6.00GB (2.00GB Usable).

Checking the actual Chips used for the upgrade I find two  HMT351S6CFR8C PB NO  AA  which research says is a

4Gb 2RX8 -12800S – 11- 11- F3  1600MHz 

I need advice and guidance on what to do to get maximum RAM from my Notebook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for you aid. After a very long weekend of trial and error and research I have a solution.

RAM Memory limited to 2.00Gb Windows 7 Solution  

1) Go to Start and type msconfig into Search Programs and Files Box

2) When Program appears in New Box above click on it. A new program window will appear.

3) Select BOOT TAB

4) Select Advance Option

5) UNTICK Maximum Memory

6) Click on OK to close and again on OK to close.

7) Reboot Computer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@JohnF150

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that your computer supports up to 8gb ram. 
Refer to http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03094322 4 Chapter 1 Product description

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion g6 1384sa memory upgrade issues.

Further investigation showed that the  upgraded consisted of  a 4GB 1600MHz chip being added to an original 2GB 1333MHz chip.

Investigation  showed that although the Notebook was registering 6Gb of Ram it stated only 2Gb was useable?

JohnF150_0-1610619839523.jpeg

Further investigation showed that a DDR 3 memory Slot 0 2Gb 1333Hz  SODIMM memory chip was in Slot 0

JohnF150_1-1610619839833.jpeg

In Slot 1 was a 4Gb 1600Hz  SODIMM memory Chip.

JohnF150_2-1610619840064.jpeg

The initial advice was that there was a conflict between the two different frequency chips.

As a test both chips were removed and the 4Gb 1600MHz replaced in slot 0 and slot 1 left empty.

JohnF150_3-1610619840073.jpeg

The Notebook recognised the 4Gb chip, but stated only 2Gb was useable? Notebook operated fine, the fastest it had for a long time.

Latest advice is that there may be a change in the BIOS required as memory may be diverted to support the Graphics Card?

I went to HP Support for my Notebook to check the BIOS and my Notebook reported the recommended F66, but I took opportunity to reload in case they were corrupt.  I then went through the Avised Driver list and loaded all. A couple reported File existing. Some it was difficult to tell if they loaded or not? At final shut down there was a very........very long delay as the Notebook Updated!

I also validated the OS Licence, all OK. Notebook was originally Windows 7 Premium but had been upgraded to Professional, HD replaced with 1Tb  SSD and RAM memory upgrade.

If I do need to modify the BIOS I have no idea how to!.

Current status is the Notebook is good no issues since swapping memory chips around, but still reporting 6.00Gb 2Gb useable). I have 50Gb+ BT Internet connection,  but Notebook frequently times out due to slow connection not suffered by any other device connected. 

If I can sort the memory issue I will upgrade to 8Gb. Many thanks for that nougat! 

Thanks for your input, but believe I have covered all the bases you have advised.  Would be grateful for any additional advice or tests to try. 

I cannot believe I am the first to have this problem on such an old, but potentially adequate Notebook.

John

HP Recommended

@JohnF150

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for you aid. After a very long weekend of trial and error and research I have a solution.

RAM Memory limited to 2.00Gb Windows 7 Solution  

1) Go to Start and type msconfig into Search Programs and Files Box

2) When Program appears in New Box above click on it. A new program window will appear.

3) Select BOOT TAB

4) Select Advance Option

5) UNTICK Maximum Memory

6) Click on OK to close and again on OK to close.

7) Reboot Computer.

HP Recommended

@JohnF150

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 👍 Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Many thanks for advice on Memory upgrade to 8Gb RAM rather than 6Gb originally advised by HP and offered by RAM Chip suppliers.

Have successfully purchased from very helpful support at Mr Memory a 4Gb 1600MHz Chip to replace the original 2Gb 1333MHz chip and match the existing 4GB 1600MHz chip upgrade that previously took the machine to  6Gb.

Notebook is now stunningly fast.  Your help was much appreciated, but not sure how to credit you as my resolving and closing the main issue of the RAM being restricted to 2Gb has lost this option.

Regards

John

HP Recommended

@JohnF150

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.