Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 245 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have HP 245 G7 notebook with AMD A6 APU. It has just one RAM Slot and currently has 4GB stick it it. As per specs it can have 8GB single stick as well. I am planning to replace the current 4GB with 8GB stick.

The existing RAM is Samsung brand and has 1R X 16 written on it.

What I have available now is Crucial CT8G4SFRA266 8GB. It may be either 1Rx16, 1Rx8 or 2Rx8.

So, if I get 1RX8 or 2RX8 will this different density and rank case any issue in booting or compatibility? There’s no question of mixing 4GB and 8GB here, I simply remove 4 and replace it with single 8GB stick.

Also what is the difference between rank 1 R & 2R?

Thanks and regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Crucial memory report for your notebook indicates that part is compatible...

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial IN

You can read the info at the link below for what the difference between single and dual ranked memory is...

Single Rank VS Dual Rank: Which Is Better for Your Laptop (minitool.com)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Crucial memory report for your notebook indicates that part is compatible...

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial IN

You can read the info at the link below for what the difference between single and dual ranked memory is...

Single Rank VS Dual Rank: Which Is Better for Your Laptop (minitool.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. Great to know that Crucial states that it's compatible. As such I went thru the article but was quite difficult to know what does all that mean. However it's all right. What matters is compatibility. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Got the same one as it was available. Installed and BIOS detected it correctly. Tested for last 2 - 3 days. System is working fine. No hangs or crashes etc.  Thanks again. Your post marked as Solution.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.