Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 - dk0003nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my Pavilion 15 - dk0003nq to 24 GBs of RAM. I currently have a 8 GB 2666 HZ Cl 19 1.2V Samsung M471A1K43DB1-CTD and a free slot that I wish to upgrade with a 16 GB of RAM - 2666 HZ - Cl 16 - 1.2V and I'm wondering if there would be any problem. I've seen this in the manual and I can't seem to find 16 + 8:

Memory Support for DDR4-2666, 1.2 V system memory
Support for up to 32-GB of system memory in the following conƭgurations
● 32-GB (16-GB×2)
● 16-GB (16-GB×1)
● 16-GB (8-GB×2)
● 12-GB (8-GB×1 + 4-GB×1)
● 8-GB (8-GB×1)
● 8-GB (4-GB×2)
● 4-GB (4-GB×1)

Here's a link to the laptop's manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06377664

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct.

But someday you may want to max out the memory to 32 GB, and it would be a waste of money buying an 8 GB chip now, only to get rid of it for 2 x 16 GB later.

I think 24 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better than 16 GB running in dual channel mode.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

It should be fine.

You'll have 24 GB of memory probably running in single channel mode.

HP Recommended

So if I would get a 8 GB - 2666 MHz - Cl 15 - 1.2V instead, I would have 16 GB Dual-Channel?

HP Recommended

That is correct.

But someday you may want to max out the memory to 32 GB, and it would be a waste of money buying an 8 GB chip now, only to get rid of it for 2 x 16 GB later.

I think 24 GB running in single channel mode would be a bit better than 16 GB running in dual channel mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.