Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-n209tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am interested to upgrade my RAM from 8gb (4gb*2) to the max capacity. Below I have listed the instruction manual suggestions for RAM configurations.

Manual, page 2-3
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04438537

Two SODIMM customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots
DDR3L-1600-MHz dual channel support
DDR3L-1600-MHz single channel support
Supports
up to 12 GB max system memory (DDR3L-1600MHz module), (select models only)
Supports the following system RAM configurations:
● 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1)
● 8192 MB (8192 MB×1 or 4096 MB×2); not supported on computer models equipped
● 6144 MB (4096 MB×1 + 2048 MB×1); not supported on computer models equipped with a 32-bit operating system
● 4096 MB (4096 MB×1 or 2048 MB×2)
● 2048 MB (2048 MB×1)

It states that the max is 12gb i.e 1*8gb + 1*4gb. What i would like to know id about dual channel and speeds. With my current setup I have 2*4gb so it is running in dual channel. If I upgrade to 12gb there are 2 possible senarios:

1. If memory required is less than 8gb. Then  is 2*4gb  faster than 1*8gb ? What happens to 1*8gb in terms of dual vs single channel?

2. If memory required is greater than 8gb. How does dual channel work and what is impact on speed?

My processor i5 4200u supports 16gb RAM so in that case can't I install 2*8gb? Will my laptop support 16gb even though max is 12gb?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, you can install 2 x 8 GB of memory.

The max of 12 GB set forth in the service manual is incorrect.

You want 2 x 8 GB so the notebook's memory runs in dual channel mode.

With an 8 GB + a 4 GB chip, the notebook's memory would run in single channel mode, as it would with an empty slot.

HP Recommended

You are 100% sure about manual being incorrect? 

HP Recommended

I am 200% sure.  😊

Even the Crucial memory report indicates that 2 x 8 GB is supported in your model.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP---Compaq/pavilion-15-n209tx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.