Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have had my 15-da0047nr since 2018, it served its purpose while I completed my degree.  Now I would like to upgrade the RAM.  I would like to know the maximum RAM that I can upgrade it to.  It has the Intel Chip, I haven't removed the back yet so I don't know how many slots there are or what style RAM it uses.  So we have an expert here that can give me a definitive answer on this BEFORE I buy RAM that I can't use?  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade info.

According to the manual, your notebook has two memory slots and can support a max of 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2400 memory.

Since your notebook already has an 8 GB memory chip in one slot, you can add a compatible 8 GB memory chip in the empty slot.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

The Crucial memory report indicates your notebook can support 2 x 16 GB of memory, so if 16 GB isn't enough memory for your needs (it should be enough), then you can install this 32 GB memory kit.

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT2K16G4SFD824A | Crucial.com

You can do this to confirm how much memory your notebook can support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

HP 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 1 has the memory upgrade info.

According to the manual, your notebook has two memory slots and can support a max of 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2400 memory.

Since your notebook already has an 8 GB memory chip in one slot, you can add a compatible 8 GB memory chip in the empty slot.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

The Crucial memory report indicates your notebook can support 2 x 16 GB of memory, so if 16 GB isn't enough memory for your needs (it should be enough), then you can install this 32 GB memory kit.

Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT2K16G4SFD824A | Crucial.com

You can do this to confirm how much memory your notebook can support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul.  I am going to install 32Gb today.  I see that it has a 1TB HDD, I was thinking about putting in a 2TB SSD that I have, can you tell me if this is an option or am I limited to a 512 SSD?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you are referring to replacing the 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2 TB 2.5" SATA SSD you should be fine with that.

If you are referring to replacing the 1 TB 2.5" mechanical hard drive with the much faster performing M.2 NVMe SSD in the available M.2 slot, that I cannot say for sure.

The Crucial memory report indicates that they offer NVMe SSD's up to 4 TB for your notebook, and even though normally the drive capacities listed in the service manual are just what HP offered in the 15-da0xxx model series, I cannot guarantee a 2 TB NVMe SSD would work.

HP Recommended

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer this. 

Yes, I was planning on using a 2TB SATA SSD that I have available for Digital Forensic investigations, I have several.

I will get my OS on it and make the swap, thanks.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.