Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs654tu

In my HP Notebook-15-bs654tu,

• CPU: intel Core I-3 7000u @ 2.4GHz.
  • Motherboard: HP 832A
  • RAM slot: First Slot- 4GB DDR4 SODIMM 2133MHz, Second Slot is empty.

Now I want to upgrade my RAM because 4GB is now not fulfill my requirement. So, can I upgrade my RAM to DDR4 32 GB (2X16GB) of 3200MHz or I have to use DDR4 32 GB (2X16GB) of 2400MHz.

CPU.PNGRAM-1.PNGSYSTEM Info.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates the maximum memory is 2 x 8 GB.

c05493257.pdf (hp.com)

You can use DDR4-3200 MHz memory, but it will only run at 2133 MHz because that is as fast as your notebook's Intel® Core™ i3-7100U processor can run the memory at.

If you want to see if 2 x 16 GB of memory will work despite what the service manual indicates, you can run this command:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. After the command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and press the enter key.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your support,

So I have to go with 2×8GB of 2133MHz,

But if can't find 2133MHz so is it safe to go with 2400MHz or 2666MHz .

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you can install DDR4-2400. DDR4-2666 or DDR4-3200 memory.

It is all going to automatically run at 2133 MHz.

HP Recommended

I go to command prompt and check ram physical max capacity as you suggest, and I found that it shows 33554432 which means 32GB as (33554432/1048576). 

So, I think I may go with DDR4 32GB (2X16GB). Please suggest me with your expert opinion....

RAM Max capicity.PNG

HP Recommended

You should be OK with 2 x 16 GB of memory since the report indicates the notebook will support it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.