Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 f210nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I wanted to upgrade RAM in my laptop ( HP Pavilion 17 f210nw / product no. L0N41EA with 4 gb RAM ). Got Windows 10 (64b) OS (and also Linux 64b). In manual there was no information about maximum RAM memory i can add. After disassembling the laptop, i figured out there are two RAM slots. In one of them is mounted 1x4gb Hynix 1600MHz DDR3 12800 cl11. I bought GoodRam 1x8gb 1600 MHz DDR3 12800mb/s cl11. Specification is nearly the same, except the memory value.

I've decided to buy and mount this in my laptop. Firstly, i simply add second RAM. Computer started, but bios and windows still detect 4 gb of RAM. Then i mount only the new RAM. Laptop didn't start - led near capslock started to flash and nothing happened. I got back to previous configuration and computer started as always, but still finding only 4gb. 

My questions are:

- how many RAM i can add to a single slot? I didn't found it in manual.

- what can be the problem, if the max amuont of memory is over 8gb, and in my opinion, I mounted RAM well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mik0z

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Your machine supports

1. Max 16GB that means you can put 8GB to each slot.
  2. Most likely you bought a wrong RAM stick or a faulty stick. Hynix RAM is easy to buy, why not bought the same brand.

Manual is on the following link and the second last is the one you can check part number for RAM on page 81.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/7486462/model/7709785/manuals

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mik0z

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Your machine supports

1. Max 16GB that means you can put 8GB to each slot.
  2. Most likely you bought a wrong RAM stick or a faulty stick. Hynix RAM is easy to buy, why not bought the same brand.

Manual is on the following link and the second last is the one you can check part number for RAM on page 81.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/7486462/model/7709785/manuals

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank You for a fast response!

I failed to find that info because of bad researching (ctrl+f - 'RAM') 🙂

Looks like i had to buy a proper stick.

Regards, Mik0z

HP Recommended

Hi,

In many cases, "Memory" is the right word to search.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.