Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Presario CQ58-150SI
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, I would like to upgrade my notebook from 2GB RAM to 2x4GB RAM. I am not sure if it supports the upgrade I want since the upgrade documentation decided to bundle different notebooks and ends up not giving exact information for a specific type in a manner I understand. But the document for my exact model  (whichis Presario CQ58-150SI, product number B8H33EA) says the max is 8GB. 

Currently it has a 2GB with 1.6GHz speed, running Linux although it came with Windows 7 Starter 32bit. The CPU is 1.7GHz Intel Celeron B820, with Intel HM65 Express chipset.

If the upgrade is possible, what speed can it fully support? If it isn't then how much max RAM can I have and at what speeds? For example, can I have 2x4GB RAM both running at 1.6GHz? And will that truly make a difference or just throttle my workload if I get above certain RAM usage but still far from using all available memory? Like if I have the 8GB max installed, but using 5GB already, will it not throttle my usage at that point? I'm quite new to spec upgrades, and I need to make sure I buy what is correct and beneficial to how my notebook handles its workload. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You would have to install a 64 bit operating system to benefit from 2 x 4 GB of memory.

Your notebook's processor supports DDR-10600 (1333 MHz) memory.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/67193/intel-celeron-processor-b820-2m-cache-1-7...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows Starter only supports 2 GB of memory.

32 bit operating systems of any version except Windows Starter, support a max of 4 GB of memory.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/what-is-the-maximum-phys...

HP Recommended

I'm currently running Windows 10 Home 64bit, and Lubuntu 18.04 64bit. Does the same limit apply or only the installed OS counts? Because I don't mind wiping out the current Windows if it means I can run 8GB RAM on my PC.

HP Recommended

You would have to install a 64 bit operating system to benefit from 2 x 4 GB of memory.

Your notebook's processor supports DDR-10600 (1333 MHz) memory.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/67193/intel-celeron-processor-b820-2m-cache-1-7...

HP Recommended

So I can upgrade to the 2x4GB with speeds of 1.3GHz without worrying about processor throttling or any other issues that may slow down my PC instead of make it faster? I'm fine with having to reset, as long as I can make the upgrade. 

HP Recommended

It's gotta be way better than only having 2 GB installed.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, this really helped. I was getting anxious going through documentation. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may also want to consider replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD if you don't need a lot of drive space.

SSD's perform so much better than a mechanical hard drive.

I would say that would even be better than installing more memory as a first step.

HP Recommended

I think I've hit a wall again, I've done all the searching I can and I'm seeing talks of number of pins. I came to the conclusion (with the help of a few websites) that all notebooks have SO-DIMM with 204 pins but are generally grouped under DIMM (DIMM is the one indicated is in use by my notebook, and not SO-DIMM), and that as long as I buy laptop 4GB DDR3 (PC3 10600) 1333 MHz it will be perfect for my notebook. Is this a sound conclusion to make or should I be concerned about pin counts and DIMM/SO-DIMM?

As for the SSD recommendation I think for my current PC, I can't really go all out since I'm considering having more than 8GB RAM. So I'll be keeping the advice for the next laptop I get. I work on projects that take around a gig per project on average so drive speed and also space are more or less equally important, but I rather save as much I can for the next one. The RAM should bare enough workload on its own till then. 

HP Recommended

Hi:

DIMM and SoDIMM are used interchangably.

DIMM is usually used in reference to desktop PC's, although some desktops such as all in ones, use SoDIMM memory.

SoDIMM usually used in reference to notebook PC, and no notebook PC uses desktop memory.

The memory you want has 204 pins.

You cannot exceed 2 x 4 GB of memory in your notebook according to the service manual.

8 GB total is the max.  See chapter 1, page 3.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03308228

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.