Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this notebook and really like it, but was wondering if I can upgrade it to 8gb ram instead of the 4gb that it comes with, the 8gb module shows as part #820570-005 and wanted to verify that it would work in this laptop before i purchased the memory.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bbuckner2003 

Your machine uses AMD A9-9425 Dual-Core processor therefore it only has one RAM slot which supports 8GB max and SODIMM 8 GB, 2400 MHz, 1.2 v, DDR4 part # 820570-005 is the right part. It says  2400 MHz but it will run @ 1866MHz on your machine

More information:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06242992.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

@bbuckner2003 

Your machine uses AMD A9-9425 Dual-Core processor therefore it only has one RAM slot which supports 8GB max and SODIMM 8 GB, 2400 MHz, 1.2 v, DDR4 part # 820570-005 is the right part. It says  2400 MHz but it will run @ 1866MHz on your machine

More information:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06242992.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, I will go with that.

HP Recommended

Hi! Will 8GB DDR4 2666MHz work in this Notebook? Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Hi I couldn't help but notice in task manager it states there are two slots for ram and only one being used. I won't argue but is that a bug with windows or could this machine possibly have 2 slots in some forms? Same model as the one specified tho. Was looking for cpu upgrades and stumbled upon this...as it's rather slow alot slower then my maching with r5 2400, 1660 super sc ultra and 16gb ram... anyhow any reply from the expert would be greatly appreciated.

msi b450I gaming plus ac, ryzen 5 1600 12nm refresh, 16gb team vulcan ram 2400 CL14 clocked at 3200mhz at cl18 timings, evga gtx 2060 super and gtx 1660 super sc ultra, 500gb wdblue ssd, 2x1 tb wdblue cav hdd 7200rpm.
HP Recommended

@britches,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As mentioned earlier, your computer has only one RAM slot and supports up to 8GB of RAM. 

Please refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06242992

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes, i see it says only one memory module is supported. but my question is why windows task manager shows there are two slots for this laptop? 

msi b450I gaming plus ac, ryzen 5 1600 12nm refresh, 16gb team vulcan ram 2400 CL14 clocked at 3200mhz at cl18 timings, evga gtx 2060 super and gtx 1660 super sc ultra, 500gb wdblue ssd, 2x1 tb wdblue cav hdd 7200rpm.
HP Recommended

also it says on ram and ssd upgrades on crucials memory upgrading website it says it supports up to 32gb...only 1 slot like you stated. but here is one memory module that im looking at in terms of hoping it will work 
can you confirm if it will or not? 

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/hp-14-dk0002dx/CT16120157

HP Recommended

@britches,

As per the specifications, there is only one RAM slot available on your computer. You can open the computer and verify. The maximum support memory on the computer is 8GB and you can install an 8GB RAM stick on the computer.

I hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Weird. I just bought this, opened it up, and I am seeing 2 RAM slots. Installed a 4 and 8 GB stick. Turned it on and have 12 GB RAM seen in Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.