Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Micron Ram
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a HP laptop some time ago which is no longer under Warranty. It had Micron Ram in it which I believe has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know what the procedure would be to get it replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is a good question.

The memory sold to PC manufacturers is just as good as the memory sold retail.

The PC manufacturers must get a great price on it since they must buy thousands of chips each month.

They put a different label on the OEM memory.

If you were to call the manufacturer for the memory you currently have now, they would ask you for some identifying information on the memory chip label you have, and they would come back and tell you, 'sorry you will have to contact the PC manufacturer to submit a warranty claim.'

The same goes for hard drives.   Retail...normally 3 - 5 years.  OEM:  1 year.

I recently had a retail 8 GB Patriot chip go out on me after about 5 years, and they replaced it free of charge.

So the limited lifetime guarantee works--at least it did for this chip.

If you have some time to kill, call or submit an online claim to Micron and see what happens.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The memory that came with your notebook has the same warranty as your notebook (1 year).

Only the retail memory has a limited lifetime warranty.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time. Just one stupid question is the memory in a notebook inferior to what is sold retail?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is a good question.

The memory sold to PC manufacturers is just as good as the memory sold retail.

The PC manufacturers must get a great price on it since they must buy thousands of chips each month.

They put a different label on the OEM memory.

If you were to call the manufacturer for the memory you currently have now, they would ask you for some identifying information on the memory chip label you have, and they would come back and tell you, 'sorry you will have to contact the PC manufacturer to submit a warranty claim.'

The same goes for hard drives.   Retail...normally 3 - 5 years.  OEM:  1 year.

I recently had a retail 8 GB Patriot chip go out on me after about 5 years, and they replaced it free of charge.

So the limited lifetime guarantee works--at least it did for this chip.

If you have some time to kill, call or submit an online claim to Micron and see what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.