cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
16 9 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Ram warranty

HP Recommended
Micron Ram
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a HP laptop some time ago which is no longer under Warranty. It had Micron Ram in it which I believe has a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know what the procedure would be to get it replaced?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,046 113,227 18,221 27,806
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The memory that came with your notebook has the same warranty as your notebook (1 year).

Only the retail memory has a limited lifetime warranty.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
16 9 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your time. Just one stupid question is the memory in a notebook inferior to what is sold retail?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,046 113,227 18,221 27,806
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is a good question.

The memory sold to PC manufacturers is just as good as the memory sold retail.

The PC manufacturers must get a great price on it since they must buy thousands of chips each month.

They put a different label on the OEM memory.

If you were to call the manufacturer for the memory you currently have now, they would ask you for some identifying information on the memory chip label you have, and they would come back and tell you, 'sorry you will have to contact the PC manufacturer to submit a warranty claim.'

The same goes for hard drives.   Retail...normally 3 - 5 years.  OEM:  1 year.

I recently had a retail 8 GB Patriot chip go out on me after about 5 years, and they replaced it free of charge.

So the limited lifetime guarantee works--at least it did for this chip.

If you have some time to kill, call or submit an online claim to Micron and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation