Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I've got the same problem with my Spectre x360 model 15-bl112dx, purchased last December. I haven't used it much as I have another HP laptop with windows 7 installed that I've been using. The only programs I installed are CCleaner, Roboform Version 7.9.32.2 and Chrome. I went through all the trouble shooting with a support rep and he agreed that there was a problem and told me it needed to be sent in for repair. HP sent me a text informing me they received it on July 20. It was returned to me and the repair details said, "No trouble found with PC". The repair date was July 21, not long enough to test the problem!

On July 24 my battery level was 72% and on July 30 it is 62%. After 40 minutes of use (Using HP Recommended Power setting) my battery level dropped to 55%. Obviously HP has a problem with batteries draining when the computer is not in use and they are acting like everything is fine. I'm angry and not likely to by HP again, even though I've been a loyal customer for years and have owned at least 6 of their PCs/laptops. This sucks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RTisMe

Win10 is most likely the culprit --- because Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is different from Fast Boot.  This is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang.  Since this new state is known as Hybrid Sleep, it uses battery power while the PC is turned off.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V  HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled -- and that should help with your battery drain issue.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@RTisMe

Win10 is most likely the culprit --- because Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is different from Fast Boot.  This is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang.  Since this new state is known as Hybrid Sleep, it uses battery power while the PC is turned off.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V  HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled -- and that should help with your battery drain issue.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I will try disabling FastStart and see if it helps. Will let you know how that works. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Ron

HP Recommended

Awesome. Two days and no battery drain since I turned off FastStart. Nobody at HP knew about this solution. Shame on them. Thanks for the solution! 

HP Recommended

I have had this exact problme for the past three weeks. It didnt bother me until I left my laptop at work and after the weekend I had almost no battert left. 

Going to try this fix and will get back to you guys with results . 

HP Recommended

I just tried this. I hope it works. I made an account just to thank you for providing a solution!

HP Recommended

@WAWood

Having same problem with latest Spectre x360 13 and have a few questions on your solution that others have reported as working to fix the issue.

1.  Why is the Registry modification needed in addition to disabling "Fast Startup"? In other words, what does the "Fast Startup" option control if additional changes are needed to solve the problem? (Don't mind experimenting with OS User options but a little hesitant to modify the Registry without understand the affect/need...)
  2. Also have ASUS laptop running exact same version of Win10 which does NOT have the Sleep battery drain issue - If the problem is truly Windows, why doesn't the ASUS exhibit the same behavior?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Bob J

Rochester, NY

HP Recommended

The solution that I said worked seemed to help somewhat but really didn’t actually solve the problem. I still contend there’s a problem with hardware or design. I’ve once had a similar battery drain issue on a Bose Bluetooth speaker (great speaker besides battery drain issue) but not with any of a myriad of lithium ion powered devices that I own. 

HP Recommended

My problem also BUT faststartrup  is disabled. If I turn off either with lid close or Power Button , battery drains

Def.Winows as lid close used to sleep Spectre 13 360

HP Recommended

I would do a shut down ( from screen or Power button)on Spectre lap[ top and next morning battery totally down. Noticed that the Mute indicator was on, so maybe was in Sleep? Started doing a second shutdown by holding down the Power button until the Mute indicator was Off. This seems to work , but not always

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.