Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Dear Paul, read your response to the above query. I can co-relate and endorse the fact that 4GB is the absolute minimum required for this laptop when juxtaposed with Win10.

Having owned and used the identical model (as mentioned in the subject) for over 30 months, If I open 5 to 6 webpages in mozzila firefox, 90% of RAM get occupied. On top of that if I open a MS Office application (basic necessity), it feels as if I have shelved the laptop in the deep freezer. This is after rebuilding the laptop using HP Recovery Manager and daily cleaning of the 'temp' and 'prefetch' folders respectively.

After some hunting around, I am getting multiple pieces of advise from various quarters (I am based in India). Most technicians are voting for upgrading the hard drive to SSD as the perfect solution whilst few are suggesting upgrading the RAM from 4gb to 8gb. Remaining are suggesting to upgrade both simultaneously - conventional hard drive to SSD and 4gb to 8gb RAM. I am confused as to which advise to heed to and need some help from the forum.

My humble questions are:

1. Should I just replace the RAM, if yes then can this particular model take one 4gb RAM and another 8gb RAM together (Does it have two slots)? Which brand of RAM should I purchase?

2. Should I also switch over to a SSD along with upgrading the RAM. If yes, what brand should I purchase?

3. I lost a USB 3.0 port socket in an inadvertent incident. Now if I get one installed sourced from after-market (non-hp) is there any downside? My laptop is out of warranty and HP has give a quote which was close to 75% of the cost of the original laptop (just to replace a USB 3.0 port). Cost of the after-market port socket is a fraction of the HP quote and that too with 3 months warranty.

Look forward to hearing from you in the next available opportunity. Other readers are welcome to share their SPECIFIC inputs.

Many thanks in anticipation.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion x360 14m Convertible PCIMPORTANT! This document is intende...

I has two memory slots and you can install an 8 GB memory chip in each slot.

I would go for option two...Max out the memory to 2 x 8 GB and replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

I would get Crucial memory and a Crucial MX 500 SSD in India. The Crucial SSD's have very good performance for the price.

Can you live with less than 1 TB of drive space?  If so, this 500 GB model SSD is a good bargain.

Amazon.in: Buy Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5-inch SSD Online at Low Prices in India | Crucial Reviews & Ra...

For the memory, get two of these...

Amazon.in: Buy Crucial CT8G4SFS824A 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL-17 SODIMM RAM Online at Low Prices in...

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with the USB 3 port replacement since I am not a PC repair tech by trade or training.

I don't see any parts listed to replace a USB 3 port or a procedure in the service manual to do so.

I'm thinking that a complete motherboard replacement would be required to fix the USB issue and that may be why HP wants to charge you an arm and a leg for the service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.