Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop DV6 6c53cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!  As many others have noted I have been unable to update my HP Laptop (Pavilion DV6 6c53cl with an internal Realtek PCIE Card Reader to the latest version of Windows 10 (v1709).

About 16% throuth the installation, I get a dialog box telling me to manually remove the Realtek PCIE card reader driver, which I've done using the Programs and Features function in the Control Panel.  The MS update installer refuses to recognize that I've done that.  Can you steer me to a driver that is compatible with the Windows 10 update 1709?

I've checked the Realtek website, but can't determine which of the many drivers I should download.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is only one card reader driver from Realtek that works all of them...

Download, unzip and run the setup application from the 1st file listed at the link below...

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

HP Recommended

@rtlg

Only the following driver available for Windows 10

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I gave up trying to solve this problem by calling Microsoft Support.  After 6 long sessions with their techs, they finally got Win 10 v17098 to install on my laptop.  To do so, they had to go through my existing files and eliminate all references to Realtek PCIE card reader - including the registry.  Not as simple as removing it using Programs and Features in  Control Panel.  They even found the last instance in an old Driver Genius file!

Installing this latest version of Win 10 is very time consuming - about 5 hours for my laptop.  Not sure its worth  the time, but MS isn't giving a choice if you want further updates.  Make sure you have enough drive space for it.

HP Recommended

the article is not find

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello, I had the same problem and after much searching I found this site.

I have a dv6-6c40br and this driver worked ...

https://snailsuite.com/manufacturers/realtek-pcie-cardreader-drivers-download

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much

HP Recommended

I clicked on your link & got this. See attached screenshot.Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@BexOfTex

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking  here To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.