Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-f019wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion 17.3 inch F019wm laptop running Windows 10 Home. Recently, I contacted Hp support by phone after my concern with a suddenly loud running fan that had been making a few strange noises beforehand. The phone technician updated the BIOS and then urged me to send in the laptop for repair and insisted that I send the pc back to replace the motherboard. A few days later, I received a return box.

Here’s the issue. After the BIOS update, the fan seemed to be running well enough and otherwise have had few problems with this pc other than some Windows 10 hiccups here and there. I have since updated the BIOS again on my own to the latest version released in April 2017, and I truly not have much of a problem out of the system.

A week or so ago, I received an email from HP asking me to send in the laptop for repair. I have the box, but I don’t need a repair at the moment.

Another thing, this system is about to run out of the 3-yr warranty. Can I purchase another extended plan or is that feasible for an older system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@shl1024

Couple of comments ...

First, I would be suspicious of the email from HP.  There have been lots of reports here about support scams that involve primarily phone calls, but the callers have personal information that makes them sound legit.  So, I would check with HP Customer Service directly to confirm this email.

Second, we have no authority to deal with warranty issues, as we are a self-help forum.  For this information, you would need to contact HP Customer Support directly.  As to the cost, I have a 5-year old HP laptop that has been running great ever since I put an SSD in it.  Replacing it would cost hundreds of dollars and get me little more than I have already.  So, you need to think about the replacement cost vs. warranty extension cost.  It's a personal choice.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@shl1024

Couple of comments ...

First, I would be suspicious of the email from HP.  There have been lots of reports here about support scams that involve primarily phone calls, but the callers have personal information that makes them sound legit.  So, I would check with HP Customer Service directly to confirm this email.

Second, we have no authority to deal with warranty issues, as we are a self-help forum.  For this information, you would need to contact HP Customer Support directly.  As to the cost, I have a 5-year old HP laptop that has been running great ever since I put an SSD in it.  Replacing it would cost hundreds of dollars and get me little more than I have already.  So, you need to think about the replacement cost vs. warranty extension cost.  It's a personal choice.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for answering my post. I was wondering about that email and decided not to respond but will speak with customer service directly as soon as I get the chance.  I'll also not call on a Sunday this time as I did initially.

The information on who to contact about the warrant also helps a great deal. I've chosen HP as main systems for over 20 years (actually have one that old up and running just fine for a family member), and I plan to stick with HP products in the future, it's just this one experience with customer service really turned me off. I felt that I was being pushed into sending off my laptop for a replacement part (a central part of the system ) that doesn't seem to need replacing at the moment, and to me, that felt suspicious.

Thanks again for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.