Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Model
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx 

System Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]
Chassis Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor 
2.70 gigahertz Intel Core i5-7200U
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board 
Board: HP 832B 23.27
Serial Number: PGNEPM3WV88HM3
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

I want to add an SSD without removing my old 1TB spinning hard drive. I am a total newbie here. please help me pick one 256GB SSD.
IMG_20210403_203542036.jpg
for reference, I am attaching a picture of my motherboard.
picture link(if the above picture doesn't show up): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VOD94TPLNSb_-Gy-LGqBUTsraFUC62Ys/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The SATA drive with two notches in it, also fits in M key slots.

That is why you can't assume that since the slot is a M key, that it must support NMVe drives, which only have one notch to fit the M key.

I haven't seen a HP notebook yet that has a M.2 slot with two keys.  They all just have the one M key.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's M.2 slot only supports SATA M.2 SSD's, not NVMe.

This M.2 SATA drive provides the best performance for the price, IMHO...

Amazon.in: Buy Western Digital WD Blue m.2 SATA SSD, 550MB/s R, 525MB/s W, 5 Y Warranty, 250GB Onlin...

This one is also an excellent model...this would be my second choice...

Amazon.in: Buy Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD4 250GB 3D NAND M.2 2280 Internal SSD Online at Low Prices...

HP Recommended

hi, thank you for replying and clearing the air. while exploring through the links/products you've provided, I'm in quite dumb confusion here. my motherboard has an M key slot, but the links you've provided have M & B Key slot. for more clearance, I've made a diagram sketch for it.  Untitled-1.jpg picture link(if the above image doesn't show up): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WxkVeTosMcKzsMMnY6Lw_POvCmrt8nCO/view?usp=sharing

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The SATA drive with two notches in it, also fits in M key slots.

That is why you can't assume that since the slot is a M key, that it must support NMVe drives, which only have one notch to fit the M key.

I haven't seen a HP notebook yet that has a M.2 slot with two keys.  They all just have the one M key.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul_Tikkanen!
Your suggestions really help me big time. I need more favour here. Can you recommend a battery replacement for my laptop? I live in India, and an Indian buying link would be preferable. 

Thanks,
Aditya
newbie 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,Aditya:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that other then to give you the service manual.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 3, page 21 lists three batteries.  I suggest you take a look at the battery and search by the part number on your battery to make sure you get the right one.

You will probably have to get a generic battery, but maybe Amazon, India has vendors that sell genuine HP batteries.

Good luck on your search. 

You can also start a new post and see if anyone else knows where you can get the right battery in India.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.