Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs049na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a HP 15 bs0xx model laptop which I bought in year 2017. I want to upgrade from HDD to SSD. Please recommend a apt SSD for the same. Right now the laptop has a 1TB HDD. I want to increase the performance of the laptop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Divya_K,

Your notebook has an Intel i5 7th gen processor. Service manual for your model (page 3) states that your notebook has an M.2 slot that supports SATA SSDs (not NVMe). 

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

You can get an M.2 SATA SSD and install Windows on it and use the current 2.5" hard drive for data storage, or you can replace the hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD and install Windows on it. Basically, M.2 SATA SSDs and 2.5" SATA SSDs run at the same speed.

There are many good 2.5" SATA and M.2 SATA SSDs on the market. These are just a couple of them.

Amazon.com: Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD, up to 540MB/s - CT1000BX500SSD1, S...

Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,...Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,...

If you wish to install an M.2 SSD, I strongly suggest opening the case to verify the presence of an M.2 slot before buying one. Page 56 of the manual describes how to install an M.2 drive. Page 53 explains how to remove/install a 2.5" drive.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Divya_K,

Your notebook has an Intel i5 7th gen processor. Service manual for your model (page 3) states that your notebook has an M.2 slot that supports SATA SSDs (not NVMe). 

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

You can get an M.2 SATA SSD and install Windows on it and use the current 2.5" hard drive for data storage, or you can replace the hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD and install Windows on it. Basically, M.2 SATA SSDs and 2.5" SATA SSDs run at the same speed.

There are many good 2.5" SATA and M.2 SATA SSDs on the market. These are just a couple of them.

Amazon.com: Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD, up to 540MB/s - CT1000BX500SSD1, S...

Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,...Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,...

If you wish to install an M.2 SSD, I strongly suggest opening the case to verify the presence of an M.2 slot before buying one. Page 56 of the manual describes how to install an M.2 drive. Page 53 explains how to remove/install a 2.5" drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.