Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-AC143WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to remove the DVD drive from my laptop and replace it with an SSD. Is it possible to connect a SATA laptop drive to this anyway, and if so how?

my laptop HP 15-AC143WM

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

raj98207

After looking through the Maintenance and Service Guide for your PC, I would have to say yes ... but ...

Here is the link so you can read it for yourself : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653884

As I see it, there are three issues: space, connector, fixed mount.

It appears that a laptop-sized hard drive could fit into the space left by the optical drive, so that is likely not a problem.

There is no second set of SATA hard drive connectors, but since the DVD drive uses the same connectors as a hard drive, you could use those -- but since those are not designed to be used for a hard drive, they will fit, but they might not work.

The worst problem is the lack of a fixed mount for the hard drive.  The optical drive is designed to fit exactly into the space and is held firmly in place with a screw through the laptop case.  There is no bracket for holding a hard drive into that space, and most likely, no way to secure it to the case.  You don't want a hard drive sliding around in the optical drive bay, so for me, that would be a show-stopper.  If you were willing to consider an SSD instead, that would not be such a problem.

And last, but not least, this is my own personal view of your situation. I do NOT represent, nor do I speak for, HP -- so if you want to do this as an experiment, you are on your own -- any resulting damage will void any warranty you have and you will be on the hook to fix it at your own cost.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

raj98207

After looking through the Maintenance and Service Guide for your PC, I would have to say yes ... but ...

Here is the link so you can read it for yourself : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653884

As I see it, there are three issues: space, connector, fixed mount.

It appears that a laptop-sized hard drive could fit into the space left by the optical drive, so that is likely not a problem.

There is no second set of SATA hard drive connectors, but since the DVD drive uses the same connectors as a hard drive, you could use those -- but since those are not designed to be used for a hard drive, they will fit, but they might not work.

The worst problem is the lack of a fixed mount for the hard drive.  The optical drive is designed to fit exactly into the space and is held firmly in place with a screw through the laptop case.  There is no bracket for holding a hard drive into that space, and most likely, no way to secure it to the case.  You don't want a hard drive sliding around in the optical drive bay, so for me, that would be a show-stopper.  If you were willing to consider an SSD instead, that would not be such a problem.

And last, but not least, this is my own personal view of your situation. I do NOT represent, nor do I speak for, HP -- so if you want to do this as an experiment, you are on your own -- any resulting damage will void any warranty you have and you will be on the hook to fix it at your own cost.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thanks for your detailed feedback
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.