Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-an050nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My graphics card went out. How do I go about replacing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dennis81 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04851694

It only has  Intel® HD Graphics 520 which is Integrated graphics, that all. But the manual of the series says it can have ONE of the following  Switchable discrete graphics:

• NVIDIA N16S-GT (GeForce 940M) with up to 2048 MB or 4096 MB of dedicated video memory (256Mx16 DDR3 900MHz x 4 PCs, 1GHz bridge to 900MHz) (i5/i7 processors)
  • AMD R7 M360 (Meso-XT) with up to 2048 MB of dedicated video memory (256Mx16 DDR3 900MHz x 4 PCs, 1GHz bridge to 900MHz) (i5/i7 processors

Pages 62 of the manual lists part system boards for the series.

Note: You have to pay for new system board which has

(a) Motherboard,

(b) CPU / Processor

(c) new GPU,

(d) New Windows license (you can't reuse old license)

Because all 4 of above components are on one piece of hardware called system board.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dennis81 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04851694

It only has  Intel® HD Graphics 520 which is Integrated graphics, that all. But the manual of the series says it can have ONE of the following  Switchable discrete graphics:

• NVIDIA N16S-GT (GeForce 940M) with up to 2048 MB or 4096 MB of dedicated video memory (256Mx16 DDR3 900MHz x 4 PCs, 1GHz bridge to 900MHz) (i5/i7 processors)
  • AMD R7 M360 (Meso-XT) with up to 2048 MB of dedicated video memory (256Mx16 DDR3 900MHz x 4 PCs, 1GHz bridge to 900MHz) (i5/i7 processors

Pages 62 of the manual lists part system boards for the series.

Note: You have to pay for new system board which has

(a) Motherboard,

(b) CPU / Processor

(c) new GPU,

(d) New Windows license (you can't reuse old license)

Because all 4 of above components are on one piece of hardware called system board.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

would the new system board come with a NVIDIA N16S-GT or AMD R7 M360, or would i have to buy  them seperate?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.