Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-AC157CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Its time for me to get a new battery for my notebook and as I shop around  I am seeing that many places online list the HS03 and HS04 battery as compatible/interchangible for my computer.

My notebook was shipped with a HS03 battery, part number 807956-001.  the HS04 has a part number of 807957-001.

the hs03 has 3 cells @ 10.95v and the hs04 has 4 cells @ 14.8v.

WIll the larger capacity hs04 battery truly fit in my laptop and run it without creating an over-voltage problem?  I know what a voltage regulator does, and it makes sense from what I have read that a laptop in general should be able to handle a range of voltages,  but  i cant seem to find a clear answer on this anyplace for my specific computer. 

The HS04 is considerably cheaper than the 3 cell HS03 in the HP store.

I looked in the service manual listeed here and it lists both batteries but it does not plainly state that I can use either one in my particular notebook, the service manual is written like it covers a fairly large variety of notebook configurations.

can someone clear this up for me?  I would usually just buy a larger capacity battery however the voltage difference makes me hesitate.

thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi.

It's a good question, either of the two batteries are compatible although one will yield more than the other.

The more cells the battery has, the longer the duration.

4-cell, 41-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery 807957-001

3-cell, 31-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery 807956-001  <--------- This battery is what your equipment brings

You can get the piece you want from:

Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

@Jeff232,

Though the guide has both the battery part numbers,

I checked and did not find 807957-001 compatible for 15-AC157CL. But yes for 807956-001.

Its recommendable to use 3 Cell Battery.

Part surfer link : http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=807957-001

Go to above link and enlarge the part nunber used in  and search for 15-AC157CL in the list as shown in the screenshot.

Bat- 4 cell.JPG

See this : http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=807956-001

Do the same on this link and the model lists your PC.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It works fine.

I have a different model of laptop, a 250 G5, it came with an HS03 10.95V which died all of the sudden while working fine the day prior.

Anyway, got in contact with a shop specialized in laptop batteries and all sorts of rechargeables and they had an HS04 of 14.6V under 807956-001 compatible battery.

At first I was skeptical too, thinking that it will burn some circuitry. I didn't notice the difference of voltage when ordering, I only asked about the part number, but when I got it the diff. was there, white on black. Googled a bit, found out it's OK, took a leap of faith and plugged it in.

Like I said, it works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.