11 8 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

envy 17t-j100 quad edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

need to replace the hard drive serial # [personal information removed] in my Envy touchsmart 17t-j100.   Can't afford sata right now.  Any suggestion to where I can purchase one compatible to the original.  This is a 1TB 5400-rpm.

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
44520 44256 3319 13907
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

If you are living in the US try tigerdirect.com or newegg.com. Or Amazon for US and other places.

Example:https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Mobile-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00C9TEBJQ?th=1

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
74482 74372 9065 19545
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

@terfig wrote:

..... Can't afford sata right now. ...

Hi,

You MUST use SATA, no choice. Probably you are talking about SSD. There are many standard HDD's around. I bought one of the following HDD's last week to test few things - much cheaper elsewhere

http://cplonline.com.au/hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/2-5-seagate-1tb-with-8g-mlc-seagate-momentus-...

http://cplonline.com.au/hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/seagate-st1000lx001-1tb-laptop-sshd-w-32gb-na...

You can buy Toshiba, WD, Hitachi, ...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
terfig Tutor
Tutor
11 8 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

I know I have to use Sata...lol....It's late, i'm tired.  I came back to correct this before anyone caught it.  I meant SSD!  Sorry about that!  I'm looking for something that's going to last longer than the original.  I bought this PC Dec. 2013 and my hard drive is clicking very bad, want to replace and clone before it crashes.  I think the original should have lasted longer since I take good care and don't tote it around.  It is what it is.  Thanks for info.

0 Kudos
terfig Tutor
Tutor
11 8 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

I looked at that HD, notice it only has 2 yr. warranty.  My current HD is dying  in less than 3 yrs.  I was wondering if this one would work or would the faster speed cause my PC to run hot.

WD Black 1TB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JPLX

I do some gaming, mostly Sims3.   My PC is Envy 17t-j100, 8GB DDR3 System Memory  (2 Dimm),  1TB 5400 rpm HD, 24GB flash Hard drive Acceleration Cache. NVIDIA GeForce GT740M Graphics w/2048MB

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44520 44256 3319 13907
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement Hard drive

Personally, I would go with the WD Black/5 yr warranty. The 7200rpm drive will run a bit warmer but if you are gaming on the laptop it is probably heating up more doing that. I would suggest using a laptop cooling pad with fan if you aren't using one. That will likely extend the life of your new hdd, as well as other components.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation