Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP laptop 15-bs191od
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a replacement battery from a 3rd party manufacturer. My original battery is a JC03, 10.95V, 31.2 Wh, 2850 mAh. The new battery I bought has the same part number as the original battery (919700-850), but it's a JC04, 14.8V, 38Wh, 2600mAh. I'm particularly concerned about the higher voltage of the new battery. Would it be bad for my laptop to use a replacement battery with a higher voltage than the original?

I have looked up this issue on this forum and others but there is no consensus. I am almost convinced that the new battery is ok since the manufacturer said 14.8V is compatible with 10.95V (but Amazon sellers should be taken with a grain of sand), and someone pointed out in a different thread that the AC charger has a higher voltage than 14.8V anyway. On the back of my laptop, it says "INPUT 19.5V -- 2.31 A", so maybe it means voltage up to 19.5 V is fine? Still, many people say I should get a different battery with the same voltage as the original (10.95 - 11.1 V). Are there any experts who can give an authoritative answer on this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

3 batteries are recognized in the Manual:

Battery 4-cell, 41-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery 919701-850

3-cell, 31-Whr, 2.8-Ah Li-ion battery 919700-850

919700-851

I checked the specs of the original OEM 4 cell battery and it is a 14v + battery. This is not uncommon as the circuitry of the laptop is able to translate a range of input current into the lower voltage used by the motherboard. The battery you have purchased will be fine.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi!, @NN_Thu_Le :

The specification for your notebook, is … https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05811172?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

2UE.PNG

Use ...

• Part No: 741553-850
  • Description: Smart AC power adapter, 19.5VDC, 45W, 4.5mm barrel connector, non-power factor correcting (NFPC) - Requires separate 3-wire AC power cord with C5 connector
  • Rohs: Compliant/Exempted
  • 741553-850.PNG

• Part No: 919700-850
  • Description: Battery 3C, 10.95VDC, 31Whr, 2.8Ah, LITHIUM, JC03
  • Rohs: COMPLY_2.07
  • 919700-850.PNG

Important : IMHO you must use the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) battery, with your values. In other case if use is under your risk. 

I hope this helps. OandP-Engine (Technical Advisor).
Please click on thumbs to thank.
Click accept as a solution if you answered your question.
HP Recommended

Not my intent to get into any kind of debate here but the Manual allows for use of either a 3-cell 10.8 v or a 4-cell 14.6 v battery in this laptop. Advice that tells someone to return a useable product he or she has already purchased needs to be considered carefully before putting it out there. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer Thank you very much for your reply. Could you tell me where to find this Manual? And is this Manual specific to my laptop model, or does it cover a wide range of HP laptops?

HP Recommended

This is the Service Manual:

Manual 

The JC03 3-cell and the JC04 4-cell are interchangeable. The Manual covers all models in the whole series of models and yours just happened to be delivered with the 3-cell. 

You do as you wish but I did not accumulate 6308 accepted solutions by giving out bad advice. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.