Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After properly ejecting SD Card, I can no longer reconnect it to  my HP15 SD Card Reader slot. When I push it into the slot, it won't attach. I have to manually hold it for the reader to be recognized, but it's only recognized for less than a second. This happened after the latest Windows upgrade. I have tried several newly purchased adpaters, but the problem is the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@QueenofthePen wrote:

..... The confusing part is why won't the card attach in the slot? Will re-installing the drivers fix this problem?

Hi,

That why I said could be damaged and If hardware damaged, driver won't fix it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@QueenofthePen wrote:

... When I push it into the slot, it won't attach. I have to manually hold it for the reader to be recognized, but it's only recognized for less than a second....

Hi,

Which adapters ? Are they microSD to SD adapters ? Could be something physically damage inside. What is your HP 15 ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The model is an HP15-f387wm. The SD Reader adapters are Toshiba Micro SD and Micro Adapter. 

HP Recommended

@QueenofthePen wrote:

The model is an HP15-f387wm. The SD Reader adapters are Toshiba Micro SD and Micro Adapter. 

Hi,

Your machine came with Windows 10 Home 64 pre-installed therefore Windows 10 updates won't effect its card reader. I don't know why you use Micro SD and Micro Adapter, this won't work. That why you have to hold it.

Given they are microSD to SD adapters, have you put your microSD card to the adapter properly. The adapter should fit perfectly inside the reader.

To confirm no damages inside, please use a full size SD card and reinstall driver (download and install the following package) to see any help.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71904.exe

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

"I don't know why you use Micro SD and Micro Adapter, this won't work. That why you have to hold it."

I am not new to using SD card adapters (20+ years of IT expertise). I have had this laptop for several months and installed the SD card readers, which were working fine until a two weeks ago. That's why I purchased a new adapter as I thought there may have been damage. However, the adapters do not work. By the way, I do know what an SD card reader slot looks like.  Plus, for the HP-15-f387wm, there is only one SD card reader slot, which is located on the left-side near the front next to the USB slot.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you re-installed driver then use a standard SD card to check. If STILL no help, with your experiences you know what to do next: replace the card reader or buy a new USB card reader.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

As I mentioned in the beginning, I'm using two NEW SD card adapters without success. I will try for a THIRD reader. The confusing part is why won't the card attach in the slot? Will re-installing the drivers fix this problem?

HP Recommended

@QueenofthePen wrote:

..... The confusing part is why won't the card attach in the slot? Will re-installing the drivers fix this problem?

Hi,

That why I said could be damaged and If hardware damaged, driver won't fix it.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Again, thank you for the responses. As a last resort, I checked the reader slot and found a small piece of the SD adapter inside. Now, all is well. Thanks for your patience and time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.