Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new HP Envy. Card reader doesn't recognise when an SD card is in it.

(The SD card can be read when I use a card reader gadget in the USB port, so nothing wrong with the card itself). 

I read in another thread someone was advised to download card reader drive(?) from Realtek, as they had upgraded their OS. Would I need to do something like this? Seems odd that a new machine wouldn't have the stuff installed for its card reader to work.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sodraba, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10,

The next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios on the computer, using this link.

The memory card reader doesn't work: 

As the drive normally shows up only when the card is inserted into the slot, here's a list of articles you can use to resolve issues with the media card reader: 

• Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. 
    This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader. 
    Here is a link to the device manager. 

• check if the problem is caused due to card issue. If the SD card is broken, it won’t be recognized by PC. You can plug the card into another PC to see if it works. If it doesn’t work either, you can try cleaning the card. After cleaning the card, if it still doesn’t work, the card is probably broken, you may need to have your card replaced. 

• check if the card reader works. If the card reader is stuck with dust, it will lead to a bad contact between the card and the card reader. Try cleaning the card reader slot and see if this solves the problem. 

• check if the card reader is disabled in BIOS settings. At the first screen after a restart, look for a key to press for “BIOS” or “Settings”.  Verify that the card reader has not been disabled in the BIOS settings. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sodraba, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB connections (Windows 10,

The next thing, I would suggest here is to update the Bios on the computer, using this link.

The memory card reader doesn't work: 

As the drive normally shows up only when the card is inserted into the slot, here's a list of articles you can use to resolve issues with the media card reader: 

• Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. 
    This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader. 
    Here is a link to the device manager. 

• check if the problem is caused due to card issue. If the SD card is broken, it won’t be recognized by PC. You can plug the card into another PC to see if it works. If it doesn’t work either, you can try cleaning the card. After cleaning the card, if it still doesn’t work, the card is probably broken, you may need to have your card replaced. 

• check if the card reader works. If the card reader is stuck with dust, it will lead to a bad contact between the card and the card reader. Try cleaning the card reader slot and see if this solves the problem. 

• check if the card reader is disabled in BIOS settings. At the first screen after a restart, look for a key to press for “BIOS” or “Settings”.  Verify that the card reader has not been disabled in the BIOS settings. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.