Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15-w155nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy x360  15-w155nr  - Purchased directly from HP

Crucial 1TB SSD 2.5” disk is my main drive C

Have tried the following SATA III M.2 2280

1. WD Blue3D NAND 250GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280
  2. 256GB Lite-On SSD SATA M.2 2280

Neither is recognized in the BIOS or Windows disk management

Tried the following:

Enabled legacy support in BIOS still no luck.

Disabled secure boot

Seated and reseated them several times

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP does not acknowledge the issue or really support upgrades if you call ordinary channels but you can try. They are going to want to charge you for out of warranty support. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try removing the hard drive. 

HP Recommended

No luck .. get the following:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnotics

HP Recommended

Yeah the new SSD is blank. This messsage is what I would expect to see if you remove the hard drive and have only the blank M.2 in the laptop. Try running Windows installer or look in BIOS now and see if SSD is shown in boot order. 

HP Recommended

No luck ...

Used a USB windows 10 installation disk with and without the hard drive installed, but it still does not see the SSD M.2 drive.

Is there a way to format the SSD M.2 drive beside having it installed in the computer?

HP Recommended

Externally using a usb adapter. But you should not have to do that. We do get reports of some HP laptops having M.2 ports that are inactive so basically dummy ports. This is one of the models where that has been reported to happen. 

HP Recommended

Will HP be able to tell me if that is a dummy port?

HP Recommended

HP does not acknowledge the issue or really support upgrades if you call ordinary channels but you can try. They are going to want to charge you for out of warranty support. 

HP Recommended

I finally purchased a case for the SSD and connected using the USB port.  The computer recognized it and I was able to format and use it.  However, if I put it back in the laptop it is not recognized.   

No help from HP, just general troubleshooting steps that had already been completed.

Thanks a million for your assistance ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.