Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Mini Desktop - 300-250np (ENERGY STAR)

My HDD is getting lower in space and slowed down response and crashes happens when opening several applications. What type oof SSD slot is available for upgrade? Where can I find a guide or reference manual for the type of SSD slot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

looks more like a Nvme SSD with m keyHp- Mini Pc Mboard colti.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the product specs for your PC, it appears to have a M.2 slot that supports SATA M.2 2242 SSD's.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Colti | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

looks more like a Nvme SSD with m keyHp- Mini Pc Mboard colti.jpg

HP Recommended

Every HP PC that has a M.2 slot looks like that it would support a NVMe SSD.

They all only have one key

I based my opinion on the age of your PC, the chipset and the processor it has.

Most PC's that old that had M.2 slots only supported SATA SSD's.

Feel free to install a NVMe SSD, and if it works, please let us know.

HP Recommended

The pdf manual for the 300-250 specs specified that expansion slot has 1 x M.2 Socket 1 and 1 x M.2 Socket 3.  

Socket 3 from my reading from the HP community, A Mr. Banhien, an expert with level 20  has this to say on his post "M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242) is for M.2 NVMe SSD, can be 2280 (standard) or 2242 (shorter) 22 is 22mm for width and 42mm or 80mm is for length. I will need an 2242 for my upgrade if this description is compatible to the specs. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/M-2-expansion-slots-what-is-soc...

I enjoyed receiving answer from your and i hope there more technical information that will be available when required.

Thank you and best regards,

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I understand all of that, but in the absence of a service manual, it is hard to confirm exactly what will work.

As I wrote yesterday...ALL M.2 sockets in every HP notebook and desktop PC look the same.

They all have only one key.  Assuming one key = NVMe SSD is not always correct.

For example, here is a service manual for a HP notebook (15-bsXXX) that has processors up to the Intel 8th generation core.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

If you look at chapter 1 of the manual, the M.2 slot the notebook has only supports SATA M.2 SSD's.

Many folks have tried M.2 NVMe SSD's in the slot, and they didn't work.

Here is a picture of the M.2 slot in the notebook PC's motherboard...one key.

Solved: HP notebook 15 bs-112tx ssd support and interface type - HP Support Community - 8877111

I'm looking forward to reading about the results of you installing a NVMe SSD in your PC.

You certainly have nothing to lose by trying one--especially if you can return it if it doesn't work.

Hopefully it will work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.