Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 17-bs061st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an M.2 SSD to upgrade my HP 17-bs061st

I know how to open the laptop & physically install it but how do I install/transfer everything? I think I want to keep my HDD in addition to the new M. 2 but I'm open to suggestions.... 

How exactly should I do it?

Thanks in advance! 😀

JenBcute
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 41 of the Service Manual here:

Manual 

Careful with the rubber feet when you remove them to get at the screws underneath. Don't stretch them out when you remove them or hard to get back in place. My need to use a drop of rubber cement to reseat them. Up to you how much storage you need. If 500 gigs is enough then no need for 2 drives...uses extra power and shortens battery run time a little. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

First understand the Windows license is not an issue. You can place Windows on the new SSD and there will be no Key Code needed it will just activate.

Broadly speaking, there is clean install and clone. You can do a clean install using a plain Windows 10 install disk downloaded from Windows Media Creation Tool website (just google that). Or, you can make an HP specific recovery disk using either HP Cloud recovery for your model or the HP Backup and Recovery app. Those will install the factory image. If you do that, remove the HDD and install the clean new Windows with just the SSD in the laptop. The other way is to clone (fancy word for copy). Macrium Reflect Free is a free app you can download and install on the laptop. One of things it can do is make a "rescue media" usb disk which is just the app running from the usb disk and you boot from it. For that you leave both the original HDD and the SSD in the laptop and follow prompts to clone the HDD to the SSD. Remove HDD before first boot from the SSD. You can put it back in once you are sure the SSD is working right. Cloning needs an SSD at least as large as the amount of data on the HDD. Easiest is to get an SSD the same capacity as the HDD.

Post back if you need further discussion. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for & I think I can handle all that! I've wanted to do a clean install for a while now anyway! Other than a few files, I save EVERYTHING on my OneDrive so I can still access everything! I do have & actively use 2 different Family Tree Builders but with them I'm still only using 234gb of the 1tb HDD so I'm unsure whether it will help or hinder to leave the HDD in together with the M. 2... what do you suggest? 

My boyfriend was thinking I should install OS & apps on M.2 & use HDD to store files?

I'm just looking for the best way to do this to optimize my laptop...

Thanks in advance for your help!

JenBcute
HP Recommended

Your boyfriend is correct. The OS should be installed to the faster device, in this case the SSD. But it hurts nothing to also have the HDD in the laptop with the SSD for storage. Not sure what size SSD you bought but if you are using 234 gigs then you would have to get something bigger than a 256 SSD; at least a 500. That's if you clone. If you clean install Windows will take up maybe 20 gigs and then you can access stuff on the HDD. Windows 10 does make you install apps to the same disk as Windows is installed onto. But even with a bunch of apps you can get by with a 256 SSD from a clean install. Move the "Library" (docs, music, video, etc.) over the HDD (plenty of tutorials online how to do that). 

If this is the info you needed please accept as solution to make it easier for others to find. 

HP Recommended

Just one last question...

I bought a 500gb SSD so should I just eliminate the HDD entirely?

Thanks

JenBcute
HP Recommended

Also if you have any info on removing the back panel I'd greatly appreciate that too! 😀

Thanks again!

JenBcute
HP Recommended

See p. 41 of the Service Manual here:

Manual 

Careful with the rubber feet when you remove them to get at the screws underneath. Don't stretch them out when you remove them or hard to get back in place. My need to use a drop of rubber cement to reseat them. Up to you how much storage you need. If 500 gigs is enough then no need for 2 drives...uses extra power and shortens battery run time a little. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for all of your help!!! I appreciate the time you take answering questions for people like me who just need a little guidance!!!!

JenBcute
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.