Flag Post

Solved!

SSD - Upgrade

HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 14cd0005ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

i want to upgrade my m2 128GB SATA SSD and have 2  Questions:

- in the service manual under SATA only sizes up to 256GB are listed - is it still possible to use a Samsung Evo 860 500GB (SATA)?

- is it possible to run an NVME (Evo 970plus) and an SATA - HDD together on the  HP8487, Vers. 72.23 ?

THX

8 REPLIES 8
Level 17
Level 17
43,990 43,776 7,025 12,383
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

The sizes listed in the Manual do not define what its possible to install. It is just a list for technicians of what they will encounter in the field. That is, in what configurations was it sold by HP? There is no capacity limit for the storage either 2.5 inch or M.2. An NVME M.2 is compatible so yes you can upgrade to a Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD and you will notice a significant performance boost by doing so. In other words dual storage may include an NVME M.2 SSD. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's wonderful!  -  I already have a 970, but I can't boot from it with my cloned windows. This is probably due to the missing NVEM - driver and I've read a lot about it, but I can't do it, I'm missing step by step instructions. 😪 So now I want to try to clone from SATA to SATA, maybe it works better with the Evo 860... - Many THX for your answer and a happy new Year @all !  - Maybe someone has a workaround to solve this problem, because i'm not an expert...😞 The DataMigration-Tool from Samsung does not find my nvem with a USB connection and because of that I already have use the MinitoolPartition Wizard, the AOMEI Partition Assistant and the Macrium Reflect. Cloning went well at all, but more steps are required everywhere and that's where I fail ... 😭

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A lot of misguided information out there. There is no NVME driver needed at the preboot level. Its just possible your M.2 to USB adapter will not work with NVME. Only the most expensive ones will. If you want specific help with getting the NVME M.2 to work let us know. I would try a clean install of Windows 10 onto it just to check compatibility and then if that works focus on getting the clone to work. 

Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have Win 10 available for a new installation. Only the pre-installed version on this computer. I use this Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08C2G7CQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the SSD works with all Cloning-SW with ecxeption of TrueImage and the DataMigration-Tool. The SSD is also recognized in the disk management and also in the boot manager via USB and in Port. Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the ssd is not recognized and that's the reason why the DataMigration Tool probably does'nt work. Only the Name from the converter can be read out. When booting, the pc repair option comes up, but this remains unsuccessful.

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Win10 is a free download from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool site. Just google that and you can download the files and make a bootable usb thumb drive. No good reason this would not work. 

Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, i will do so, but one question: should I create the drive on a usb stick and try to install windows on the nvem - ssd or create the thumb drive directly on the ssd with adapter? - Otherwise I choose the first way...

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you done this before? No the Creation Tool makes an installer. Use the usb thumb drive to install Windows 10 to the SSD. It unpacks, detects hardware, provides basic drivers. You still need to update it with HP drivers, etc. after install. 

Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm so stupid 😫 - it's actually quite simple. I installed windows as described ...-  the Evo is compatible and everything is going perfectly. So I created backups and a boot medium with True Image before and uploaded the image to the NVME. 😃 The SSD could not be booted at the first and second start. Although the order in the BIOS was already right, i selected the Samsung again and now Windows started perfectly! 😃 Then adjusted the partition and now everything is ok! - The problem is finally solved - many, many thanks for the help and best regards from good old Germany!!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation