Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14z-cm000 CTO

I was told that I can install a 250 GB M.2 SSD in addition to my 1 TB hard drive. This is my first time looking into upgrades for a laptop, but when I looked inside there aren’t any brackets/ribbons for the SSD. Can anyone help me look at what I need to be looking for? Or some kind of dual adapter for both? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

the service manual mentions what certain models could have been bought with.

It is not possible to add the slot or use the Samsung 970 drive.

The best choice would be to return or sell the 970 drive and buy a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo. You put it in place of the 2.5" mechanical drive you have at the moment. There is no limit to capacity. It will give a great boost to performance.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to look if the sot for the M2 SSD is there (sometimes missing on notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD.

MM2 slotM2 slot

Now if the slot is there you can install an M2 PCIe NVMe SSD such as the Samsung 970 Evo Plus which is considered the best or something similar.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1HXKCGBEFC3QF...

It will give an amazing boost to the everyday performance of the PC. You will need to reinstall or move the OS to the SSD.

If the slot is not present you can replace the Hard Drive with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi David,

thanks for the info! I did buy the Samsung 970 Evo Plus and when I went to put it in I realized I didn’t have the slot. So I guess, to rephrase my question, can I purchase a slot in order to install that? HP ha stated that I can install that kind of ssd, but never mentioned anything about if there isn’t a slot.

HP Recommended

Here is additional information and images.

Here is the insides of my laptop and I circled where the M.2 would normally go if I had purchased it with one. So is it possible to add a slot there?

2A7B961E-CDE9-4D80-82A4-D8924F053505.jpeg

If not, what would be the best combo/option out of these available specifications:

24622A82-93CD-47D0-A590-5458596CEBBB.jpeg

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

the service manual mentions what certain models could have been bought with.

It is not possible to add the slot or use the Samsung 970 drive.

The best choice would be to return or sell the 970 drive and buy a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo. You put it in place of the 2.5" mechanical drive you have at the moment. There is no limit to capacity. It will give a great boost to performance.

Let me know if you need further help,

David

HP Recommended

Awesome, thank you so much. You were beyond helpful!

HP Recommended

Hi again David,

The new SSD is working like a charm and I put my old 1TB mechanical drive in an external enclosure To keep using. Thank you for your help!

Would you be able to help with a question on RAM next? Specifications said it can have 2 x 8gb but I’m not seeing the connectivity option for the second stick. Any ideas? Thank you!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.