Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
dv6700
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Notebook model: HP Pavillion dv6700 

Product number: KQ154EA#ABZ

PROCESSOR Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 duo CPU t5450

Bios Version: F.33

i would like to change the disk in my hp and i bought a 240gb kingston ssd sata memory.

I cloned the hard disk and inserted the ssd into the pc. The problem is that the bios doesn't recognize it.
when I enter the bios and try to do "hard disk self test" it tells me "no IDE Device". yet I removed a classic sata disk and I always inserted a sata ssd!
is there a version of the bios that I can update? could i solve it like this?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Some SSDs could behave similarly on older systems with SATA2 or SATA1 controllers.

Samsung branded SSDs are notorious for that.

I suggest to try other SSD, maybe different brand and based on different controller IC.

In my experience, SSDs based on Phison controllers are tend to be more compatible with older SATA controllers.

Still there is no guarantee.

HP Recommended

the hard drive i am trying to make is Kingston A400 SSD SA400S37 / 240G.

if I try to start the operating system from USB it works.  

HP Recommended

Hi, @kisspachyoyusee 

Most SSD's are backward compatible with SATA II controllers, which your model has, but that doesn't rule out it may not work.

If you want to give a BIOS update a try, here are the info and exe file links to the last BIOS update HP released for your notebook.

Info file (F.5A):

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48024.html

Exe file

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48024.exe

For some reason, HP left the dv6700 model series off the list of supported notebooks, but the dv9700 uses the same BIOS.

It just has a larger display screen.

The BIOS update was written to be run on XP and Vista, but other forum members have run it in W7 and it worked fine.

You can see from this discussion...It even worked on W10 for this forum member.

Solved: Bios Update Hp pavilion dv6700 - HP Support Community - 7902200

HP Recommended

on the cover it says that the model is dv6728el. is the bios the same as what you say?

HP Recommended

Hi:

That BIOS update is good for any dv6700 notebook with an Intel processor.

HP Recommended
I updated the bios correctly, but it still doesn't recognize the ssd! I had to put a classic hard drive. thanks for the support you have given me!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

As the other person suggested you may want to try a different brand SSD.

I used this cheap model PNY SSD in a HP 6910p notebook with the same chipset as yours, and it worked just fine.

PNY CS900 Unità a stato solido (SSD) 240GB - 2,5'' SATA-III (6 GB/s), BLACK, 240GO, SSD7CS900-240-PB...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.