Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G2

Hello,

I want to upgrade my laptop with a M.2 SSD with 42mm length. As you can see in the picture, there is a screw fitting for 60mm soldered in place and a hole with threads for 42mm. I would like to use the latter but there is clearly a special screw / standoff / spacer missing to use it properly. (Commonly offered standoffs seem to lange to me.) Can anyone help me finding a proper solution to mount my SSD?

OT: 

This is the SSD I ordered, I think the specs are quite good and I'm confident it will work. (I'll report back once I have it.)

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242 DRAM-less Low Power Internal SSD (SB-1342-1TB) 

IMG_20200531_161615_165_small.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In the end I went for the creative solution, luckily I was visiting my parents and my dad had a screw and the perfect washers in his collection. With a dab of screw lock I am quite happy with that solution:

IMG_20200626_110413_357_clean.jpg

The drive works very well as storage but I couldn't make it work as a boot device. There is another thread about this issue with similar EliteBooks in this forum, so I guess that is a limitation of the Notebook, not the drive. If anyone knows about a solution for that I'd be happy to hear.

Two more notes in case someone is interested in that drive:

- I don't get the advertised speed (820 MB/s vs "up to 2500 MB/s") but TBH I don't really care, it's still **bleep** fast. I think the Notebook does not have enough PCIe lanes and maybe also not the latest PCIe version.

- I saw some discussion in other forums about the quality of Sabrent drives, they seem to be using chips from different manufacturers without notice, but I'm not sure if that applies for that exact model or how bad that actually is.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The maintenance and service guide states that system is designed to a 2260 format drive PCIe 2x2

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04551620

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Where exactly did you find that? (Searching the document for 2260 yields no results and I tried to find that information before even posting here, but can't find anything except part numbers for drives which are too small for my purpose.)

I chose the 2242 model because I couldn't find a 2260 with these specs (PCIe, 1 TB) and I can't imagine that this hole with threaded insert has any purpose other than installing 42mm SSDs, I just can't find the spare parts for this.

HP Recommended

In the end I went for the creative solution, luckily I was visiting my parents and my dad had a screw and the perfect washers in his collection. With a dab of screw lock I am quite happy with that solution:

IMG_20200626_110413_357_clean.jpg

The drive works very well as storage but I couldn't make it work as a boot device. There is another thread about this issue with similar EliteBooks in this forum, so I guess that is a limitation of the Notebook, not the drive. If anyone knows about a solution for that I'd be happy to hear.

Two more notes in case someone is interested in that drive:

- I don't get the advertised speed (820 MB/s vs "up to 2500 MB/s") but TBH I don't really care, it's still **bleep** fast. I think the Notebook does not have enough PCIe lanes and maybe also not the latest PCIe version.

- I saw some discussion in other forums about the quality of Sabrent drives, they seem to be using chips from different manufacturers without notice, but I'm not sure if that applies for that exact model or how bad that actually is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.