Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 14-am074na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a Notebook 14-am074na.  I was hoping to upgrade the hardrive with a SSD.  Is it just a standard 2.5" SATA SSD that I woulkd need?  Do I need to buy any brackets or mounts to physically fit it to my notebook?  Does the notebook have a secondary drive capability so that I can retaion my old 2TB hard disk drive?  Many thanks in anticpation.  

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is no extra spot for a hard drive. So you will need to replace the mechanical drive with aq 2.5" SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860evo or similar. There is no need for brackets or anything else. You will place the SSD where the mechanical drive is and use the bracket and cable from this drive.

On page 44 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05805036

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thanks David.  What is the mention of the M2 SSD on Page 46 of the user manual?

HP Recommended

Your welcome. Yes, you can install an M2 SATA3 SSD. However, you need the solid state drive board. The board is installed where the 2.5" hard drive is (the same spot page 47 of service manual). So since the M2 SATA3 drive has the same speed as a 2.5" SSD it is best to just install a 2.5"SSD without the need of any extra board or cable.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks again David.  I would prfer to clone my old hard drive than start a fresh install.  Can this cable be used in the USB 3 port for the job.  Or will I also need a power supply?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-2-5-Inch-Hard-Disk-Drive-SSD-Adapter-Connector-Cab...

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the cable you will need, no extra power necessary.

You can use software which is usually provided by the brand of SSD you purchase, such as Samsung Migration software. I believe Crucial provides Acronis software. You can read the guides for the various softwares online. Since, most likely the SSD is lower capacity than the mechanical drive, you will need to pay attention when using software.

Personally, I usually perform a clean install since i also gives a chance to clean out all the unwanted stuff and have a fresh start.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Thnks once again David.  How do you do a fresh install?  I didn't receive any OS disks and the laptop has no optical drive?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.