Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 15-bw084ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was looking to upgrade my laptop with an SSD.

1. When I referred to the product spec guide, it clearly there states that for hp-15bw0xx laptops there is support for m.2 sata, and support for running ssd+hdd.

2. But when I opened the back panel to confirm it I found that there is no “plastic header thing” where we usually insert the m.2 card! 🙁 there is the holding screw and even markings on the motherboard that says "M2".

3. So I decided to ditch that idea and go with a 2.5" ssd drive to be put in the place of the optical drive using a caddy. 

4. To confirm that I can use an ssd and if I have sata3, i used SiSoftware Sandra to scan my system. It shows in the "motherboard>disks" channel=1 and usage=1,100%.

5. Crucial system scan: This scan shows I have support for 2drives 1sata other m.2sata.

Now I'm super  confused. Can anyone please help? I really need an ssd in this.

Any input would be appreciated highly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes sir, I have ensured as I mentioned above.. there is NO m.2 slot, the mobo is compatible and there is support for it. But there is no header to plug in the gumstick.
Anyways thanks for the input, I have opted to get a 2.5" drive and a caddy.

I figured that I could use a HDD SATA and a Optical drive at the same time so I could definitely use a SATA (HDD+SSD) together as I am going to be emptying a slot for SATA by removing the optical drive anyways.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

From my  experience, u have to ensure that the m.2 port is available on your mother board before you purchase a m.2 sata hdd. If you want to upgrade to ssd, replace the existing hard disk (1 TB 5400RPM) with  normal sata ssd. Once you finalize the purchase check the speed of the  sata controller speed, service document says that your your mother board support sata 3. 

HP Recommended

Yes sir, I have ensured as I mentioned above.. there is NO m.2 slot, the mobo is compatible and there is support for it. But there is no header to plug in the gumstick.
Anyways thanks for the input, I have opted to get a 2.5" drive and a caddy.

I figured that I could use a HDD SATA and a Optical drive at the same time so I could definitely use a SATA (HDD+SSD) together as I am going to be emptying a slot for SATA by removing the optical drive anyways.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.