Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 13-4185nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to increase the SSD capacity from 500GB to 1TB but CANNOT find any vendor that acknowledges this as a possibility.  I presume this laptop uses an M2. card but haven't opened it up yet.  The product # is N5S05UA#ABA, thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Picture isn't important.

The BIOS in any should not be a problem for larger capacity drive.

Crucial says these SSDs will work, and they guarantee. Can return if it doesn't. Biggest I noticed is 2TB.

Faster is more expensive.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-spectre-x360-13-4185nr

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Your maintenance and service guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04807803.pdf

Page 20, Item (11) indicates one M2 drive slot, if I am reading it right.

Seems like you should be able to replace that 500GB (512-GB, M2, SATA3 solid-state drive supporting TLC 801504-001) stick (also #11 on p. 15) with a 1TB stick too. The motherboard is supposed to be able to address it and so is Win10. 

HP Recommended

N-B, thanks for that, do you know if the motherboard and the BIOS will support anything bigger than 1TB?  Attached is a pix of the current drive

IMG_9225 (3).JPG

HP Recommended
  • I don't see why it wouldn't. But you should check further. And HP is not showing me the picture on my phone. 
HP Recommended

N-B, how do I get a definitive answer from HP regarding >1TB support.  Here's a pix of the existingIMG_9225 (3).JPG drive that I did not include earlier although I doubt it has any significance.

HP Recommended

Unable to upload pix of the existing drive, maybe too large but it is a 512MB M.2 SSD that came with it originally.

jabingb_0-1620659579628.png

HP Recommended

Picture isn't important.

The BIOS in any should not be a problem for larger capacity drive.

Crucial says these SSDs will work, and they guarantee. Can return if it doesn't. Biggest I noticed is 2TB.

Faster is more expensive.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-spectre-x360-13-4185nr

HP Recommended

N-B, you're a star, thanks for your research, now I'll have to decide if I want to pop for 2TB, probably not, 1TB should do the trick.

HP Recommended

By the time you fill a 1TB maybe Intel will have bigger Optane drives.

HP Recommended

Interestingly, when I use the CrucialScan app it does NOT offer a solution, the HP manual calls out an M2 SATA3 drive, this:

jabingb_0-1620695655086.png

And your suggestion calls out a PCIe SSD and gives this mixed message , saying it has a solution and THEN states it does not.  I've sent them a message detailing what I want to achieve, guess I'll wait for their response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.