09-23-2019 06:10 AM - edited 09-23-2019 06:16 AM
I upgraded my laptop with a TeamGroup SATA III 256GB SSD last month. I checked its benchmark using CrystalDisk that showed a fair speed of 550mb/s read and 450mb/s write speed (listed 550/470) then. Recently the speeds have dropped, lightly in read but drastically in write. I'm getting 480 or sometimes even 450mb/s read speed. Write speeds are the main issue for me here, 20-40mb/s!
The SSD is having 60% free space and the health status is also Good, it is using SATA III 6gb/s port.
09-25-2019 05:21 PM
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.
HP does not recommend to use Third-party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate.
Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02435719 to know about Solid State Hard Drives.
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
I am an HP Employee
09-26-2019 12:32 AM
Then which application does HP recommend? Your link doesn't provide me with any downloadable application (that could measure SSD speeds) besides Intel SSD Data Center Tool that only happens to work on Intel SSDs.
I've tested the speeds using some other applications as well(image below) and got similar results, but then you may go on with the "HP does not recommend to use Third-party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate." statement, when all that a speed test app does is write and read memory blocks and calculate and reflect the average speeds!
09-26-2019 03:55 AM
Stats are back to normal now. Googled about the issue and came across Write-caching policy(image below). Somebody recommended to disable this policy in order to experience the true speeds. Disabling it gave me 200mb/s write speed(10 times better than before) however I decide to experiment a little and enabled it again and restarted the system thereafter. Now my read/write speeds are back to normal. I still wonder what was wrong all this time, as the settings now are exactly the same as it was before, I just disabled-enabled them. Well, whatever, it definitely kicked in the right things to their right places I guess!
10-02-2019 12:34 AM
I'm back to the same old problem again! While the system was in process to render a 6 GB video, I noticed the estimated time reached 6 hrs!! I stopped the process, saved it and restarted my laptop, then tried again yet the result was same! Went back to check if its the SSD speed issue and yest it was. Speed test showed 18mb/s write speed.Tried my previous method(disabling-enabling write-caching policy), but it didn't help this time. Have been trying multiple times but the problem remains. I don't know what to do this time.