Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I installed a Samsung 970 evo 1tb m.2 drive into my laptops m.2 slot, and it fitted and attached fine. When I turned on the laptop I couldn't find the new drive nor could I find it in bios or anything. I was wondering if it was compatible with my laptop, and if it is what I had to do to make my laptop detect it. On a side note If it is compatible what should I do to make it a "boot drive"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RefugioC, you are absolutely correct that the installation of the SSD is straight forward.  I added some additional information to my last post.  Take a look that the Maintenance and Service Guide to see if it helps.

My only other thought is, you may have gotten a faulty drive.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@RefugioC , welcome to the forum.

What is the full model of the computer?  There are several models in this series.  I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information.

HP Recommended

My laptop is specifically the cs2073cl from cosco. I can't seem to find any other answers to my question. I am currently updating the bios

HP Recommended

cs2073cl

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RefugioC!

The Samsung drive should work fine in your computer.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the computer.  In Chapter 5, Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts, Page 54, are instructions for removing and installing a SSD.

Have you tried cloning the HDD to the SSD?  You can do this by leaving the HDD installed as it came from the factory and install Samsung's Data Migration software on it.  Install the SSD.  Run the Data Migration software.  It will ask for the Target drive and you will choose the SSD.

HP Recommended

I have not tried it, I will attempt right now. The thing is I can't find the ssd mentioned anywhere, not in bios or in the file library. Samsung magician also cannot detect it. Perhaps there was an install error but I highly doubt it, its extremely straight forward.

HP Recommended

Samsung migration does not detect it as well, only disk 0 (the Toshiba hdd that comes with the laptop).

HP Recommended

@RefugioC, you are absolutely correct that the installation of the SSD is straight forward.  I added some additional information to my last post.  Take a look that the Maintenance and Service Guide to see if it helps.

My only other thought is, you may have gotten a faulty drive.

HP Recommended

I will finish updating the laptop and see if that helps anything. Thank you for your help and speedy responses.

HP Recommended

@RefugioC, you are very welcome!  Glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.