Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp notebook 15-db0186au
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using HP notebook 15-db0186au. I have an M.2 slot. I want to know whether I have a B key or M key slot or both B&M key slot in my notebook.

Also can I install Samsung 970 Evo 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive (which have am M key ) in my notebook. Is there any bios settings needed to get the best performance ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

M.2 is M.2. B + M or M key will fit in any M.2 slot the question is: will it work? There are NVME with B + M or M only and a few SATA with M only so the key configuration is not 100% synonymous with the transfer protocol. But, bottom line, your laptop WILL accept an NVME M.2 SSD such as the 970 Evo. Good choice. Its what I use on my laptops if I get to choose the M.2 SSD. 

See p. 2 of the Service Manual:

Manual 

The sizes listed are not exclusive. You can install a larger capacity M.2 NVME than HP offered from the factory. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

M.2 is M.2. B + M or M key will fit in any M.2 slot the question is: will it work? There are NVME with B + M or M only and a few SATA with M only so the key configuration is not 100% synonymous with the transfer protocol. But, bottom line, your laptop WILL accept an NVME M.2 SSD such as the 970 Evo. Good choice. Its what I use on my laptops if I get to choose the M.2 SSD. 

See p. 2 of the Service Manual:

Manual 

The sizes listed are not exclusive. You can install a larger capacity M.2 NVME than HP offered from the factory. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you

HP Recommended

What is the procedure to change protocol of SSD in BIOS from IDE to NVMe in hp notebook 15-db0186au before installing Samsung 970 Evo 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive ?

I can’t find any option showing SSD protocol in my laptop BIOS. In which Heading exactly this options should be available in my BIOS ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.