Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-ep1000 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

I did not have the Optane memory installed when I purchased the Envy 15-ep1000. Product number 322W9AV.

I recently added a Samsung 980Pro to the 2nd NVMe slot. The 2nd drive is working fine.

However, Samsung Magician v7.0  has issues with the 980P SSD. Samsung Magician a problem with the storage controller.

steve_h_1919_0-1651795287344.png

Device manager reports the offending controller as:

steve_h_1919_1-1651795364687.png

Several places on the internet identify the Intel RST VMD Controller specifically for Optane memory.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-install...

A fix for the Magician problem is to replace the Intel RST VMD controller driver with the Microsoft Standard NVMe driver that comes with Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODJltQE4xy8

In this video it is not an Intel driver but similar issue.

Since I do not have Optane and the Intel RST VMD controller is specific to Optane, is to safe to replace the Intel driver with the Microsoft driver?

I would like to have the functions of the Samsung software for additional SSD.

Thanks,

Steve

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@steve_h_1919,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Envy Laptop screen.

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • Try replace the Intel driver with the Microsoft driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

The BIOS are up-to-date, F.11

Microsoft and HP software are also up to date.

When I try to update any one of the Intel RST devices, the only choices I have are the same RST drivers.

steve_h_1919_0-1652125584974.png

steve_h_1919_1-1652125630682.png

No Microsoft option is available. When I click on browse my computer, my choices are: my Documents folder or kicks me over to windows update under Setup. I did a search for the stock Microsoft NVMe drivers and was unable to locate any appropriate driver on Microsoft. 

I have the ability to disable or uninstall the Intel Drivers or device.

steve_h_1919_2-1652125835075.png

Disableling or uninstalling would leave what appears to be the stock Microsoft storage controllers.

Would disabeling or uninstalling be a good option? I also saw that someone said that you could uninstall using Revo Uninstaller.

Thank you, again.

Steve

HP Recommended

Hi@steve_h_1919,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

Yes you can try uninstalling and check if it works.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I tried to uninstall the three Intel devices from Device Manager. 

I was able to uninstall all three, but upon restart, they reappeared.

I repeated the process, except this time., I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management. I followed this uninstall with a restart.

The Intel RST VMD controllers returned.

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Steve

HP Recommended

Update
Did some more digging and found four Intel Drivers in the C:\Windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository.

steve_h_1919_0-1652215391660.png

All of these are the same version as the conflicting driver in Samsung Magician.

Any more ideas.

Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.