Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15 ba010ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi. I just tried to replace my hdd with ssd and while trying to get the connector out of the old hdd i accidentally stretched it and it causes the SATA cable from hdd to motherboard to break and currently I'm trying to search where can I buy the cable only.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Is the part you mean by 'holder' number 15 on the diagram on page 23 of the Maintenance and Service Guide? If so, that's part number 817878-001, as shown in the table below the diagram.

The other alternative to upgrade this system to SSD appears to be to replace that holder with item number 13 (part number 850946-001), which is a carrier for a M.2 SSD (presumably limited to SATA only as it appears to connect to a SATA controller, I expect 2280 size to be supported, which is pretty much the industry standard for SSDs). As you appear to have a 2.5 inch SATA SSD ready to go, there seems to be little to recommend the M.2 route.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hard drive connector board 817878-001 

Hard drive cable for use in HP Notebook PC models 855003-001

Manual

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=4A899E3F8B1F4BDDBC3F570EC66EB93C&SearchIn=P...

$37.50 seems a little stiff. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/855003-001-Cable-HDD/162694681828?epid=523259994&hash=item25e15bd4e4:m:mXgP...

Better

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if its the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended
Thanks but apparently the holder part was the culprit. It broke and now the cable is not in place. Any suggestions you can give to secure the cable ?
HP Recommended

Is the part you mean by 'holder' number 15 on the diagram on page 23 of the Maintenance and Service Guide? If so, that's part number 817878-001, as shown in the table below the diagram.

The other alternative to upgrade this system to SSD appears to be to replace that holder with item number 13 (part number 850946-001), which is a carrier for a M.2 SSD (presumably limited to SATA only as it appears to connect to a SATA controller, I expect 2280 size to be supported, which is pretty much the industry standard for SSDs). As you appear to have a 2.5 inch SATA SSD ready to go, there seems to be little to recommend the M.2 route.

HP Recommended
Thanks so much guys. I just opened the lid again and it was caused by my own mistake. I mistook the holder as broken but actually I didn't lock the holder back in place. Now it's running fast with the ssd. Thanks so much again.
HP Recommended

Great news! Sometimes it is as simple as reseating everything and checking it is locked into place. Enjoy your upgraded laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.