Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello Sir/Madam,

I have an HP ENVY 17t, Prod. No. 2YY28AV, Windows 10 22H2 64-bit Home Ed. It is about 3 years old.  It has 512 SSD disk (only 40% used), 16 GB RAM.  Latest BIOS F.29A.  Until around October 2022, it has functioned very well.

Since Oct-2022, it is very evident to me that there is a problem with the laptop's battery.  Worse yet, I notice 2 REPEATABLE (i.e., reproducible) behaviors:

(1)  When the laptop is plugged to a POWER SOURCE, the Windows 10 screen saver fails.  When running on BATTERY, the Windows 10 screen saver works.

(2)  When laptop is plugged to a POWER SOURCE and I attempt Login to 2 specific websites, it fails (see screenshot attached).  When the laptop is running on BATTERY, this error disappears completely and I am able to Login successfully.  This happens regardless of the browser used.  I have tried all 3: Firefox, Edge, Chrome and the responses are identical.  The only difference is this:  Firefox responds with an error message screen, which is the one attached.  Edge and Chrome just sit there forever.  I have to cancel & relaunch Edge or Chrome to get out of this hung situation while Firefox is able to give the screenshot shown, and continue running,

After several months of frustrating trial and error, I "discovered" that if I do the ff. steps, the error also disappears --- EVEN WHEN laptop is plugged to a power source!  These are the 2 "remedial" steps:

Control Panel >> Internet options >> Advanced >> Restore advance settings.

Control Panel >> Internet options >> Advanced >> Reset >> Delete personal settings  >> Reset >> Close

However, I have barely 4-5 seconds after these 2 steps to achieve a successful Login. Any longer than 4-5 seconds and the Error 15 (see screenshot) occurs. 

=====================

I have performed HP's Hardware Diagnostics and they all passed, specifically the Battery Check.  I have drained the battery as far as I can to zero, and then re-charged, but still experience short battery life.  I used to have a fully charged battery last up to 3 typical work days.  Now I almost always have to keep the laptop plugged in at all times.  As already noted, when plugged to a power source, I experience Windows screen saver and Login failures to certain websites (Error 15 in screenshot attachment).   I also note that the battery continues to charge, but after reaching 100%, it runs out fairly quickly.  For example, after 100% full charge, I simply leave it in Windows 10 Desktop with no app running (except the ones that have been launched at the start).  I unplug the power source and leave the screen saver running, within 3-4 hours the battery is empty.  If I had been actively running Word, Excel, email and/or browsing, I would run out within 2 hours or less!  This is NOT how it used to be before late-October-2022.

I hope that by sharing this problem, and the "weird" -- but observable and repeatable behaviors described above -- some expert with HP's laptop battery technology can provide some tips/guidance /recommendation leading to a permanent solution.  I am very convinced after nearly 3 months of tinkering with this problem, that the battery is the reason.  Hoping to hear from the right experts!  Thanks in advance.

R.Tan

==================================================

When Login fails using Firefox browser, this is the return message:

(Edge and Chrome browsers do not return any message, they just sit there forever)

ERROR 15 with blackouts.PNG

===================================================

Battery-report for this laptop follows:

batt1.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.