Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-ab207ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Should I update BIOS before installing new RAM?

I am changing 8 GB ram to 16 GB ram, and in the laptop manual, it is noted to update BIOS before installing the new ram. 

Plus, when I check HP Support Assistant - it says that there no new updates available. So maybe I don't need to?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the BIOS update isn't working or what to do about it.

I guess you will just have to install the memory with the existing BIOS and hope for the best.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has BIOS version F.55 installed, that is the latest one for your notebook.

HP Pavilion - 17t-ab200, комплектация на заказ Загрузки ПО и драйверов | Служба поддержки HP®

HP Recommended

My version is F.35

I tried to update BIOS but did not succeed in any way.

1. Can't update from Device Manager - Firmware is not listed in the list of drivers.

2. HP Support Assistant does not list a new version of BISO for the update - says No Update Available

3. manual Update did not work either - I'm getting the message that BISO may not update fully and I should create Flash Drive.

4. I went with Flesh Drive - Flesh drive was not created though it told me the process was successful. - card was empty and when rebooted and after pressing F2 Diagnostic UEFI did not start - instead on black screen I had This:

HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI

Version 1.8.0.0 - BIOS

For more information, please visit: www.HP.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

Memory Test
Hard Drive Check
Language
Exit.

and nothing else

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why the BIOS update isn't working or what to do about it.

I guess you will just have to install the memory with the existing BIOS and hope for the best.

HP Recommended

Yes, that's what I did, and it works perfectly. With added SSD and more ram, my laptop is flying.

Thanks for your support it was very helpful on all the questions I have posted!

Thank You!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad that your notebook's memory upgrade project went well.

Enjoy the increased performance the upgrades made.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.