Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-BS153CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there! I recently opened my HP 17-BS153CL to do some routine cleaning and dust removal, and noticed that there was a spare M.2 slot on the board. It appears to be a standard M.2 slot that would accept a M.2 SSD, so I'm hoping I can pick one up and slap it on in there and use it as the boot drive. I realize HP has whitelists embedded in their BIOS's that blocks certain hardware, however I cannot really find information pertaining to my particular laptop model. Has anyone else found a spare slot and been able to add in an SSD with success? Thank you! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is the port you are referring to where the i is in the image below?

SSD drive.jpg

Your notebook has support for M.2 SATA-3 SSD drives with TLC memory type. NVMe types are not suported.

Examples are at Newegg.com. See the link below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=M.2+SA...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

That would indeed be it! That is too awesome, thank you! I'm looking at this drive in particular, from Microcenter: 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/510598/256gb-tlc-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-3-x2-internal-solid-s...

I know you stated NVMe will not work, but if I'm correct the above drive ought to work, correct? Thank you so much! Also, if you don't mind me asking, where were you able to find that picture? I've searched for teardown guides, and couldn't find anything on this model.

HP Recommended

That is an NVMe M.2 SSD, according to the hyperlink and the advertising blurb.

As I stated in my previous post, it is not compatible with your notebook. 

Where did I find it?  :LaughingTears:

We all have our resources. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

My mistake! I misunderstood and got that all confused in my head, but I understand now; M.2 SATA III 2280. EckGOhe.jpg

HP Recommended

Hey! So I've got a follow-up; I bought a 128GB M.2 SATA drive off of Amazon, but I've been having issues with it. First boot up, it showed up and all was well. Now, when the computer goes to sleep and I wake it I get a message that the system has detected a hard drive issue, to which I then run the diagnostic on all drives and all come back fine, except the 128GB M.2 drive shows up as 0kb. It'll come back, and be usable after I power down and restart around 4-5 times. Now, I have 3 HDD's installed, including the M.2 one I just installed; I replaced the CD drive with a 1TB drive and an adapter. Would you happen to have any suggestions? Thank you so much for all your help! I've linked to the drive should you want to know which one it was.

https://amzn.to/2FpnxoG

HP Recommended

Hp Notebook 15-ay503-TX leptop support M.2 slot ?

yes, Support To type of ssd M.2 PCIe, m.2 normal AHCI Protocol work Support. 

And How to Indentify m.2 slot  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.