Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I am the latest victim of a known issue with 2015 Spectre X360 laptops. A specific component on the motherboard fried leaving a burned smell and scorched area. There have been several threads about this on this forum already see here, here and here.

It seems like about half the people with this issue were quietly taken care of (even out of warranty) by HP and the other half were told, "tough luck."

HP needs to take care of this issue and fix these faulty motherboards including my now useless $1200 laptop. I look forward to an equitable resolution to this issue. Others with this issue please comment as to your experience.

I will again attempt to upload a picture of the damage. HP has removed it from previous posts.

IMG_5390.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I may finally have the answer as to why HP is so inconsistent with their response to this problem: it has to do with the department that deals with the issue.

In my case, the laptop burned up and left a smoky smell in my daughter's bedroom. I certainly emphasized my safety concerns when communicating on this forum and with HP. Bottom line is that I was contacted by a risk manager from HP's health & safety department and my laptop was fixed and back to me within a week. No cost to me.

If you just call in and want it fixed, probably will not get the same response as a different department will handle the case.

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

@acepaul

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My suggestion to all those who are experiencing this same problem is to not call HP Support. You need to have your case escalated by a HP Support Rep from this forum. This seems to get your case to a team that is familiar with the issue who will help you. 

My Laptop is currently being shipped to HP (on their dime) for a motherboard replacement. I will update on the forum how things turn out once I get it back.

HP Recommended

Any update?

same thing happened to me.

I got contacted by a very nice support rep and while I mentioned I could literally prove we've purchased 50+ HP laptops/desktops/servers for all of our companies (We're an MSP), they still said it'll cost $700 to repair since its out of warranty.

Essentially, what they're saying is their laptops dying after two years is considered NORMAL.

TWO YEARS FOR A LAPTOP THAT COST OVER $1500 IS NORMAL?

While Apple machines are overpriced, their build quality never gives me issues and when it does (e.g. when my MacBook battery practically imploded, similar to this), they replaced it FREE OF CHARGE since its a clear company defect.

The sad thing is they (the mods) make it sound like you're getting contacted by their support to receive actually beneficial support but its practically a sales pitch.

$700?????????????????????? Half the laptop price? Cool

Not sure what to say here guys, might want to consider Dell or Apple at this point.. Lenovo also has AMAZING customer care, they send replacement boxes next day at one of my clients.

What an absolute joke.

HP Recommended

I may finally have the answer as to why HP is so inconsistent with their response to this problem: it has to do with the department that deals with the issue.

In my case, the laptop burned up and left a smoky smell in my daughter's bedroom. I certainly emphasized my safety concerns when communicating on this forum and with HP. Bottom line is that I was contacted by a risk manager from HP's health & safety department and my laptop was fixed and back to me within a week. No cost to me.

If you just call in and want it fixed, probably will not get the same response as a different department will handle the case.

HP Recommended

Hello! How long did it take HP to contact you to solve the problem? I'm in the sweet waiting....

HP Recommended

@acepaul - I think you are right. I called to simply have it fixed and they reduced the price a little but not much. Unfortunately for my claim, mine didn't show any evidence of burning...

After getting it fixed, I've been hyperaware of the fact that this laptop has SEVERE overheating issues. Almost every day that I'm using it (usually just browsing the web), I have to turn it off because the temp is so high it's almost too hot to touch. No wonder the motherboards keep burning up.

HP Recommended

After our laptop was fixed I bought a couple of these coolers - cheap insurance and they work amazingly well:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NNMB3KS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HP Recommended

Shaumps: HP was actually fairly quick to respond and resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Post exatcly what happened to your laptop with a picture if possible. You might need to start your own post. Keep posting until an HP rep messages you directly. Don't bother calling HP. Won't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.