Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Spectre x360 (latptop/tablet convertible), is docked nearly full time at my home.  I moved it off my laptop tray and noticed that the bottom panel has started to bulge and the side edges will no longer stay snapped in place. there is a 1/8" (3mm) gap on both sides. 

Separately,  and much more recently, the spacebar key does not work correctly.  It only works when hit firmly in the center.  it will not work when pressed elsewhere.  I read that this may be a hardware issue, and I have installed all the latest windows updates and BIOS drivers.  Nothing has corrected the issue.  I don't know what else to do. 

This machine is probably past warrranty, but I'd like it to remain usable.  The spacebar issue is huge. 

I don't know what issues may be arising from the bottom panel (battery overheating) issue ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

chris

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Climbingchris 

It is past time to change the battery.

===============================================

"Fat" Battery / Bloated Battery / Swollen Battery – Sealed / Internal Battery

• Swollen battery might be hiding OR there might be evidence that the battery has inflated.  For example, notebook case is warped, touchpad stops working, “odd” bulging near the keyboard.

• If the battery is in a swollen or bloated condition, the battery must be removed from the computer and replaced.  There are no other remedies, tests, or useful options.

From HP

>>> HP Support > Battery Swelling / Swollen – Start Here

===============================================

OR

If you want to do the job yourself:

Open

Maintenance and Service Guide

Part number and replacement procedure on Page 31

Description                                                         Spare part number
6-cell, 84-WHr, 3.7-Ahr, Li-ion battery            928372-855

HP Device Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guide, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Spectre 15-ch000 x360 Convertible PC 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads up about the battery swelling.  and for the useful links !

Does this resolve the spacebar not functioning correctly ?  Or completely separate?  every sentence isa struggle to type.

HP Recommended

@Climbingchris 

You are welcome.

Yes, assuming the space bar is not working simply due to the expansion, replacing the bloated battery will take care of that.

And, yes, there is a chance that there is actual damage to the space bar or other components.  There is no reason to think there is damage until it is proven to be the case.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Laptop has split open, touchpad doesn't work, and battery is swollen. HP support don't want to know. No help at all. Won't be buying HP again. Terrible support

HP Recommended

I ordered an after market battery and installed it really easily.  the new battery fixed the spacebar, traction pad issues.  all things fixed by new battery.  thanks for the recommendation.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.