Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The camera on my Spectre x360 Convertible 13 disappeared a few weeks ago. It originally started malfunctioning (frozen picture) and then was just gone; I got the 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached> error message. 

Background: the kill switch was not on, though it appears to be functioning (if I slide it to the on position, I get an onscreen notification that the camera is turned off). I have done all updates that appear through Windows Updates and the HP Assistant.

1. I contacted HP Support on Twitter, and they had me do a power drain/restart- that actually worked, for about a week. Then, it disappeared again, for no apparent reason (not due to any further updates or anything that I am aware of happening)

2. I contacted HP Support again, and they recommended I go into Device Manager, uninstall the device, restart, and then re-install the device. The camera was actually not even appearing in Device Manager at first; however, I was able to locate after selecting "Show Hidden Devices." However, after I uninstalled the camera and restarted my computer, I am completely unable to reinstall the camera. It does not appear when I run Scan for Hardware Changes or Add Legacy Hardware. 

3. I was able to initiate a support chat, and the person had me update the BIOS. I did that and restarted, and there was no visible change- still unable to detect or reinstall the camera

4. The only other suggested I've gotten so far is to back up my data and do a reset- which feels like the nuclear option, and I really don't want to do that. 

I'm really frustrated- I spent a lot of money on this computer, and this is a pretty essential functionality that has stopped working repeatedly. I would welcome any advice on getting this resolved now and preventing it from happening again. 

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @JB1205

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the very same issue on the 15" model.

Nothing is working and I do not know what to do next.

Moreover, in this period of time due to smart-working needs, the camera is very very important.

Thank you for your support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.