Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Stectre x360 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My friend has got a busted motherboard for a 13-4003dx with the fairly common failure mode; Burnt/blew the capacitor/Charging IC/FET that lies under that sticker near the SSD.

See here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/59kpfh/dead_laptop/

He says I can have the laptop for cheap if I can fix it. Does anyone know more of the intricate steps in how to repair this? I see x360 motherboard repair offered on eBay so I figure it can be done. I am a beginning electrical engineering student and pretty deft with a solder iron, but I'm not quite sure where to start with this repair. I've taken a good look at the circuit, but some of these ICs are not common so I'm not quite sure where to get them. If anyone has extra information that might help me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@rewsiffer

Thank you for joining HP Forums.}

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you want information on repairing/replacing a motherboard in your HP x360,

We at HP do not recommend replacing such sensitive parts on your own and I would recommend you Contact HP so that a repair service could be set up to have this done by a trained professional using genuine HP Parts.

That said, If you feel comfortable doing it on your own, you can look up the part number using the HP PARTS SURFER and then order the genuine parts on the HP PARTS STORE.

Keep me posted,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked the parts website, but it onl has the major assemblies, no SMD parts. However, all I may need to replace is a capacitor or two, and these HP specific. The only thing I need to find out is the capacitor value. Often times(but certainly not always), using too high a capcitor value is alright when the capacitor is being used in the voltage regulation circuit. However, I would feel much better is I know the exact value.

Is there anyway you could put me in contact with someone who has more intimate technical knowledge of this machine?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@rewsiffer

Thank you for replying. 🙂

HP does not recommend replacing the capacitor or any other parts on the motherboards. It might be done locally though at a computer repair shop. 

However, I checked and found the system board spares part kits that this laptop is replaced with in case of a motherboard failure. Please view page no. 38 of the user guide.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to reach out for any further questions. Cheers!

HP Recommended

I also have an HP Spectre x360 13-4005dx that will not charge.  Purchased 14 Dec 2015 so of course out of warranty.  I hardly used this laptop.  Hoping HP will stand behind this one and repair at their cost as well.  Please assist.

HP Recommended

I also have a Spectre x360 just a few months out of warranty, motherboard dies tonight, HP wants to charge $500 to fix it. There are tons of posts on this topic on these boards, it's clearly a problem with their hardware, I feel like I should expect to get more than 18 months out of a premium laptop. 

HP Recommended

I just bought mine in June of 2017 and already one of the charging ports has failed. I hate being without a laptop for HP to repair it. I guess I need to find out if it's still under warranty and what to do about it. Dammit. You'd think with as many people as are reporting the charging port failure, they would step us anf manage this.

HP Recommended
My HP specter has done the same, bought in July 2015 and it stopped working beginning of this year. Won’t turn on, nothing. HP wants to charge me $650 to get it repaired.
HP Recommended

Same here. Bought 2015, died last week while working (before thesis presentation of course!). Very frustrating. HP assistance asked 285€ for the reparation of their own design fault. Now, will the repaired one come with the same issue?

HP Recommended

I can tell you that after I posted here HP support contacted me and set the repair up as warranty. It was great customer service from then on and I haven't had any issues with it since. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.