Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I am having an issue with my touch pad on the spectre x360 where if I try to make slight movements (i.e. a very small swipe or movement of the cursor) the cursor automatically snaps back to the position it was in before I touched the pad.  This makes precision extremely difficult because I have to make a larger swipe and then bring the cursor back around to what I want to click on in order for it to not snap back.  

I have updated all the drivers for the system and I have tried cycling on and off most of the Synaptics settings to no avail.  

I performed a screen capture so you can see the snapping I am talking about (it is a little hard to see because the screen capture is low fps).  http://screencast.com/t/mBEJCmmWge6

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?  It is extremely annoying and would greatly appreciate any help!  

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello @vyse5090 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read about your HP Spectre x360 Notebook and mouse pointer freezing or snapping. Thank you for the screen shot and I do see what you are talking about. Here is a document on how to troubleshoot the mouse and Touchpad sensitivities. I would restore the defaults on the TouchPad.

Hope this fixes your issue with the mouse.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately this did not fix the issue, but I did track down the problem.  It is with the Synaptics driver.  It has issues detecting when you are tapping the trackpad versus when you are making a slight movement.  If I turn the "tapping" option off in the features then the trackpad works just fine.  However, this disables a significant feature of the trackpad.  Is there a way to submit a bug report to the driver development team for this?  

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hey @vyse5090 ,

Consider it submitted. Thanks for letting us know.

Have a good week

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@Mrstenter wrote:

Hey @vyse5090 ,

Consider it submitted. Thanks for letting us know.

Have a good week

Hi,

@Mrstenter Is there any news on this issue? My newer model x360 that I recently purchaced is having the same issue. I have currently done all Windows updates, HP updates, and manually checked for the Synaptics drivers, but all is up to date and I keep having this really annoying issue. Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hey @VAVED,

For most just restoring the BIOS to factory defaults help with this. Here is a document that shows you how to restore BIOS factory default settings.

Let me know.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello!

Sorry for the late response. Resetting the BIOS dit not resolve the issue, neither did the latest BIOS update.

It seems to me that is a software feature. I think it is meant to be an error correction function, for when the software thinks you meant to tap, and not quickly move and tap. I want to be able to turn this function off, because it's very annoying when my mouse is right besides the object I want to click, but I have to move it in slow motion, or else the computer corrects my mouse movement by snapping it back to where I started moving it.

I have had contact by phone with my local HP support, and they can confirm that this also happens in 2 different laptops that they had there. They were however unable to help me with it. Is there now any new infromation regarding this issue? I have not had this before in other laptops with other brands, and it is really a thing that makes me consider getting another. Is there anything you might be able to do for me? Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my HP SPECTRE X360 recently bought. Randomly, the mouse pointer moves to a diferent position on the screen, without any mouse or trackpad movement.

I've disables trackpad and even using a microsoft bluetooth mouse, or a usb mouse, the pointer moves away and clicks happen.

I'm not sure this is a trackpad problem, it seems more like a touch screen problem.

This is giving me too much trouble as even only writting, the current window is disabled and writting is stopped.

Already cleaned up the screen and the problem is still present.

If this is not solved I'm thinking in returning back the laptop!

HP Recommended

Hi! @PauloP, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that the touchpad is erratic on your laptop.

Please uninstall the touchpad drivers from your laptop. And install the latest version of touchpad drivers.

Steps to uninstall touchpad drivers.

Go to windows desktop

Hold Windows key + Letter R key.

Run dialog box would open type devmgmt.msc

Device manager window will open.

Expand Mice and other pointing device.

Right click the Synaptics touchpad icon and click uninstall.

Restart your PC. 

Install the latest version of Synaptics touchpad drivers from this link.

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

PauloP's issue is completely different from the issue in this thread. His issue is most likely hardware error.

The original issue (from the Original Poster) is not fixed by reinstalling the drivers. The latest drivers still have the same issue. Some software engineer programmed the trackpad tap delay time to be longer than it should be. The synaptics drivers for Ubuntu offer options for changing the delay until a movement is registered as a tap or a movement. For example, if the trackpad is moved a short distance for around 10ms, it is registered as a tap instead of a movement. That is why the mouse snaps back to where it was originally (It is registered as a tap instead of a movement). This would be VERY easy to fix, if HP adds the ability to change the delay until a touch is registered as a tap or a movement. Changing the default setting or adding the ability to change this in Synaptic controls would take minimal time for an Engineer to do (Since the fix is simply done by changing a single value). Or, adding the ability to change this in the Registry would be easy to do as well.

If this issue is not fixed, I will most likely be returning my laptop for a different laptop with a Microsoft Precision trackpad. This issue makes it impossible to make very small trackpad movements since short, quick movements register as a tap instead of a movement. Completely uninstalling the Synaptics driver fixes the issue but then no trackpad features work (Like 2 finger scrolling), making the trackpad useless.

This issue may not seem big during testing, but the issue becomes very apparent when trackpad movement sensitivity is set very high. On low sensitivity, the issue is barely noticable. On the maximum movement sensitivity, however, the pointer will move almost a full cm until snapping back to its original location. This is NOT an issue with drivers. This was done intentionally by some Engineer, who probably didn't test the trackpad on high movement sensivitiy with "tap to click" on.

An HP Engineer should be consulted about this issue. Better yet, I would be glad to talk directly with an Engineer at HP to fix this issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.